Chapter Seventeen- Whispers

The journey across the Ocean was quick and uneventful. With Atu controlling the winds they made good time- the southern storms disappearing as soon as they could be seen on the horizon. The Ocean turned from a murky brown to a light blue the closer they got closer to Admari. From a distance, Eboni was able to make out the mountainous ranges of Cerina next to the thin flat land- bar the Empress's mountain- of Admari.

With much effort and arguing, Iasa had managed to convince Kas and Atu to change from their shorts into loose trousers and tunics. They were all now stood on deck watching as the Port of Admari grew closer.

Iasa had raided everyone's wardrobe the night before to make sure they would all be dressed in Admari's latest fashions. Both Eboni and Iasa had changed into loose fitting dresses that grazed their ankles and leather sandals. The colours were rich and bold. Iasa was wearing deep red- matching Orlans red tunic and Eboni was wearing a deep emerald green. Bren had opted for an understated purple and both Atu and Kas were wearing dark blue.

The men all jumped into action as the ship was ready to dock.

The view of the main city took Eboni's breath away. The colours of their clothing seemed to be replicated as far as she could see, the buildings were a creamy yellow colour, their walls made from mud and straw and unlike the perfect bricks of Rolezal these building looked like they had stood for a thousand years and weathered every storm.

The people had tanned olive skin from the two suns that sat constantly in the sky every day of every season. Their clothing was much richer and eccentric than the simple tunics they were wearing. Gold jewellery adorned every path of showing skin and jewels hung from necks and sat atop heads.

Stepping down from the ship and onto the earth she noticed that the streets were all cobbled and rough. Charm exuded from everything and everyone, the air electric with atmosphere and life.

Bren and Orlan were the last to disembark, carrying with them their trusty satchels.

"Where do we start?" Iasa asked looking around. They were drawing a lot of attention.

"So much for wearing these to blend in." Kas said pulling at his tunic uncomfortably. "We may as well be carrying a sign saying 'look at us!'" He whispered as more people stopped and stared.

Eboni was sure they looked like a very peculiar travelling group, their clothing although the right colour lacked the adornment and finesse of the locals and no doubt their loitering with no one here to meet them was what was starting the whispers.

"We head to the palace." Orlan instructed. "We must speak to the Empress."

"Come on then, before we attract any more trouble." Bren said setting off Behind Orlan.

"I think it's too late for that." Eboni whispered pulling everyone to a stop as a plethora of armed guards ran towards them. Dressed in light blue tunics they were the lowest of ranks and- worryingly, thought Eboni, therefore had the most to prove.

"Well, this started well didn't it." Kas sighed, resting his hand on the bow that hung from his belt.

"No weapons, we are here in peace." Eboni ordered them, swatting Orlans hand away from his half-drawn sword as the guards encircled them.

"Drop your weapons!" One of the guards bellowed pointing his sword menacingly at Orlan, a scowl twisting onto his lips.

"Put it away Orlan." Eboni asked again. Stepping in front of him so the sword was now pointing at her.

"Step aside little girl, it would be a shame to hurt such a pretty face." The man sneered, jabbing his sword towards Eboni. Bren and Kas both took protective step forward their eyes not leaving the guard intent on starting a fight. She had to think of a way to get to the Empress without being in chains.