Chapter One- Friends

A snowball flew out of nowhere, hitting Bren squarely in the chest knocking him to the floor breathless.

"No fair" he grumbled standing back up to face his attacker "You promised you would play fairly," sulking he shook the wet snow from his tunic.

"Oops!" Eboni grinned back mischievously.

"Oops?" Bren narrowed his eyes "It's my birthday- you promised you'd play properly." He reached down and scooped up a big handful of snow moulding it into a perfect sphere.

"Well it's your fault for having your birthday in the second winter isn't it?" Eboni laughed eyeing the large snowball.

"Please? Today is the only day were allowed to play in the snow- please play fairly. As an eleventh birthday present to me?"

He passed the snowball into his other hand squeezing it harder turning it to into ice. Before Eboni could reply he sent it soaring towards her. But she had seen the energy building up around it. He was aiming at her face, but before it had even left his fingertips she had moved out of its way.

"Eboni." Bren moaned.

"Tell you what-." She smirked back, "if you manage to hit me I will do all of the work Brother Jon has left for you to do." She watched as Bren, her best friend, fellow orphan and spiritual brother contemplated her challenge.

"And if I don't hit you- what do I have to do?"

Eboni grinned "You have to do my work!"

Bren thought for a moment. If he won not only would he not have to do his school work for a week but he would also get bragging rights- no one- not even the High Priestess herself had even beaten Eboni when it came to a strategy game.

Energy was her thing, she controlled it like the second sun controlled the tides. Ever since he could remember Eboni had an affinity with the very life that pulsated all around them. He was three when Eboni was found on the steps of God's Temple abandoned by her parents. He was the only other orphan being brought up there and this connection had made them incredibly close.

No one knew why Eboni could do the things she did, not even the High Priest or Priestess and they were the wisest people in the world. All that he knew for sure was that if he wanted to keep her safe then no one outside of the temple could know about the power she wielded.

People would want to hurt her, the High Priest had explained to him when he was old enough to understand. No one would hurt her, he had vowed. But a snowball to her face? He could ignore his vow for a few hours.

He grinned back at Eboni her deep green eyes sparking with excitement.

"Deal" he said sweeping off fresh snow from the wall and hurling it at Eboni trying to take her by surprise.

She laughed, waving her hand again sending it all back at him while running of towards the small garden outside the temple entrance.

Bren raced after her watching her raven black, loosely curled hair bounce around her shoulders. She ran into the open corridor that separated the garden from the temple laughing as she dodged Bren's poorly aimed snowballs.

"Bren!" a sharp screeching voice shouted from behind him. Eboni froze in her tracks, Bren doing the same when he realised who the voice belonged to.

"Sister Ariana" he replied curtly, dropping his snowball.

"It may be your birthday Mr. Bren but this is a place of worship not frivolities- and you should know better Miss. Eboni. Please refrain from using your gift where anyone and everyone can see it." Sister Ariana sighed disapprovingly

"Sorry Sister" Bren and Eboni mumbled together, shifting uncomfortably under the sisters disapproving stare.

"Ah there you are Sister!" A warm voice called out from behind them. Spinning around Eboni and Bren watched as the High Priestess gracefully walked towards them. She smiled warmly, her light blue eyes were kind and inquisitive as she surveyed the scene in front of her.

"High Priestess," Sister Ariana smiled.

"Bren- Isn't it your birthday? Why aren't you out playing in the snow?" she turned to Eboni "You should take this opportunity to hone your skills." Both Eboni and Bren couldn't help but grin as Sister Ariana's smile turned to a displeasing frown.

"High Priestess-." Sister Arianna began before the Priestess cut her off

"Someone seems to have eaten all of the bread in the Temple, please go and replace it before evening mass." She said ignoring the grumbles from Sister Ariana as she walked away.

"Go and play young ones, just be vigilant when using your gift and make sure you don't use up too much of your energy Eboni, I'm sure Bren doesn't want you falling asleep like the last time you practiced together." She warned ushering them back out into the snow before walking back through into the corridor.

"Thank you, High Priestess! I'll be careful." Eboni promised calling out to her.

Using Eboni's distraction to his advantage he scooped up some snow from the cold ground and threw it hitting her in the back of the head. Gasping, she shook the snow from the curls of her hair, glowering as she turned to him, furious at herself for allowing herself to become distracted.

Bren was doubled over laughing at his accomplishment, grasping his sides trying to contain his glee.

"Now you're in for it." Eboni smirked, scooping up a ball of snow.

Bren stood back up wiping tears away from his eyes.

"Eboni..." He said as he noticed what she was aiming at. "Eboni..." He said again, his grin faltering, unsure of what she was about to do.

Before he could break her connection, the snowball landed with a thud onto the roof of the corridor he was currently stood under.

"Come on Eboni! No fair" he shouted. All he could see of Eboni was her raven black hair whipping fiercely around her face as an avalanche of snow landed on him, engulfing him in ice cold darkness. 

If you could have a super power, what would it be?