Chapter 7

Faye awoke to Jyri nudging her. "Get up!"

The two had traveled until dark, and camped out under a tree. Faye's feet still ached from walking, and she had slept with her knife in hand. She blinked at the rising sun. "It's barely light out."

"I want to get an early start." Jyri tugged at her blanket. "Come on."

Faye swatted his hairy arm away, and slipped her knife back into her pocket. She sat up, and grabbed her pack she had used as a pillow.

After the two packed up, Jyri took the saddlebag over to Holger. Faye trailed behind, frowning. "You have hairy arms."

"A lot of men do," he said, attempting to tighten the bags to the saddle. But Holger kept moving around, and Jyri yanked at his collar, scolding him.

"I don't remember yours looking that hairy."

Jyri glanced down at his arm, then shrugged, and went back to Holger. After successfully tying the saddlebags on, he climbed up, leaving ample room in front. "Let's go."

Faye squinted at his strong jawline, covered in stubble. "Are you growing facial hair?"

"Like I've had time to shave. Hurry up."

"Calm down." Faye climbed up in front, and Holger raced off.

After an hour of riding in silence, Jyri commanded Holger to a stop. Faye gave him a questioning look, but he only scratched his chest, before flicking the reigns. Only to pull them again after several paces.

Faye turned around. Jyri continued scratching himself. "You okay?"

"It's just an itch." He slipped his hand up his shirt, then froze.

"What?"

Turned away, Jyri lifted up the side of his shirt, and swore under his breath. What he was looking at, Faye couldn't see. She tried to catch a glimpse, but he yanked down his shirt.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. Let's... I'll be right back. Uh, bathroom." Jyri slid off of Holger, and hurried past the cluster of trees near their path.

"What's his problem?" Faye asked Holger.

A gurgling sound escaped Holger, and he flopped to his stomach. Faye didn't bother commanding him up.

Shortly after, Jyri emerged from the trees, hands pressed against the sides of his head. Faye thought he had gotten another headache, but the panic in his eyes said otherwise.

"What-"

"I'm fine!" Jyri shouted, pacing back and forth, hands still clutching his head. "I'm fine, I'm fine. This is fine."

"Did your arms get hairier?"

Jyri held his arm up to his face to inspect, then dropped it. "Yes, and it's fine. It's all fine." He smiled painfully. "Everything is going to be okay." He ran his fingers through his hair, but froze. His hands trembled as he rubbed the top side of his head. "What's this lump?"

Faye dismounted Holger, and Jyri dropped to his knees so she could get a better look. But she didn't even have to feel for anything.

"Can you see it?"Jyri asked, his pitch rising.

A grin spread across her face. "I see it alright."

"What is it?"

"What are they," she corrected. "You've got two of them."