Chapter 13

The three strangers stared silently, and Faye stared back. Jyri stared, but at one of the girls. She had red hair, with a dazed look in her eyes. The other one had dark hair, and wore a frown with her black dress.

After several seconds of awkward silence, the redhead spoke.

"You have an arrow in your arm."

Jyri turned his head to look at his wound. Blood dribbled from the puncture, staining his shirt sleeve. He nodded, and looked back at her with a pained smile. "I do."

"Shouldn't you do something about it?"

Jyri winced. "Probably." He fell to his knees, clutching his arm to his side. Then, howled in pain.

"Oh dear." The redhead dismounted, along with the man and dark haired girl.

"I can help with that," the old man said, reaching for the arrow.

"No! Don't touch it!"

"Relax. I'm a wizard." He reached for the arrow again.

Jyri pushed him away. "I'm fine." He attempted to get to his feet, but stumbled. The wizard steadied him, and led him off. Everyone else followed.

The group found a river not too far away. The wizard instructed Jyri to lay on his stomach, and ripped open his shirt sleeve.

"What are you doing!"Jyri shouted, shoving him away. "That's silk!"

"Calm down, boy. I'll fix it later." The wizard shook his head, and forced Jyri back down. Faye and Kirsten watched as he inspected the still-bleeding wound. Lavina squatted in front of a tree, holding her hand out towards a chattering squirrel. The wizard pulled a rag from his pack, and handed it to Kirsten. "Go wet this."

"Lavina," Kirsten called. The redhead tore her attention away from the squirrel. Kirsten waved the rag. "Go wet this for me."

Smiling, Lavina took the rag, and dunked it in the river, then handed it to the wizard. The wizard muttered something under his breath before taking it, and wiped the blood away. "Hold still," he said to Jyri. Jyri whimpered, but complied. The wizard closed his eyes, and ran his hands over the arrow. He grasped the shaft of it, and yanked it out.

Jyri shrieked.

"I'm almost done."

"That hurt!"

"You're lucky it's only your arm, boy." The wizard set the arrow aside, then wiped up more of the blood, before putting his hand over the wound for a moment. He removed his hand, revealing flawless skin. "How's that?"

"It... it doesn't hurt anymore." Jyri sat up to inspect his wound. Or, what was once a wound. He poked at it. "It's gone."

"Yeah, it's almost like I used magic." The wizard picked up the arrow, studying the head of it. Eyes widening, he glanced at Jyri, then back at the arrowhead. Then, Jyri again.

"What's wrong?" Faye asked him.

The wizard shook his head. "Nothing." He stood up, and tossed the arrow into the river, the current carrying it away.

Lavina gasped. "What'd you do that for?"

"So no one will step on it."

"Yeah, instead someone will swim into it," Kirsten said.

"I was more worried about the fish." Lavina nibbled her lip.

"Yeah," Jyri agreed. "Think of the fish." He rubbed at his arm, and seemed to notice the rip in his shirt. "And my shirt." He smiled up at Lavina. "It's expensive."