26| in the hospital room

CAIT WAS NEVER one for hospitals

CAIT WAS NEVER one for hospitals. The white washed walls and disinfectant smell always made her head spin.

When she woke up with all sorts of pipes and tubes sticking out of her she was confused to say the least. Her mother was sitting on the couch at the far end of the room biting her nails - it was a trait she shared with her daughter; something they did when they were nervous. Hailey, on the other hand, was pacing the corridor outside with Cole trying to comfort her with words.

Cait forgot where she was for a moment before her mind snapped back when an older man walked into the room. He had the classic white jacket over his pressed trousers and rather pink shirt, "Hola, Catrina. You give us quite a scare."

Cait's mother's head snapped up when she noticed her daughter awake and ran to her side, grabbing her hand tightly, "oh baby, how do you feel?"

"I'm fine, mama, stop fussing," Cait (although thankful for her mother's concern) shrugged her off.

"What happened to her? Is she going to be okay?" Her mother looked up to the doctor with pleading eyes.

"Nothing to worry about, Señora Hernandez, just a little dehydration, that's all," he spoke calmly with a smile.

"I told you, mama. I'm okay," Cait mumbled.

"There was one thing I wanted to ask," the doctor took off his glasses and peered down to Cait who was now subtly sweating, "have you had an episode like this before?"

"Um," Cait took a moment to try and rack her brain, "a couple of days ago, before I left, I was in my room and felt a little faint. But no, nothing as drastic."

"Okay, that's everything I need for now," he set his board down on the table beside her bed, "I'll leave you to rest up."

Cait and her mother mumbled their thank you's before her sister and Cole came into the room.

"Oh my god, Cait. I got your text when I was riding in the ambulance. I'm so sorry," Hailey came him with a flustered face and hair sticking out at all places.

"Guys, honestly. I'm fine. No need to fuss," Cait chuckled.

"You could've died."

"Hailey. I forgot to drink the required amount of water, I get that. But I'm f-"

Before she could finished her sentence, the hospital door flew open.

"Thank god, I thought you were dead."

Cait looked up to see a sweaty man, panting out those words. His thick accent filled the room and his dark hair flopped around his eyes.

When Cait made eye contact with him, his eyes lit up and he gave her a smile. Not just any smile though; her smile. The smile he gave to her when she got home from work. The smile her gave to her when she woke up beside him. The smile he gave her when she caught a glance at him from across the table.

"Don't worry, I'm perfectly alive and breathing," Cait couldn't hold back her own smile that beamed.

"We'll give you two a moment," Hailey kissed the top of her sisters head before whisper to the man in the doorway, "good luck, and don't fuck it up."

The three left (with Cole mumbling to Hailey about her quote) leaving the two young adults alone.

There was a thick silence for a while before Cait broke it with a hoarse whisper, "I've missed you."

"I know the feeling," he smirked across the room at her before slowly placing himself at the end of her bed.

"You don't have to sit so far away. I don't bite," Cait giggled at him.

"I mean there was that one time," Cait playfully punched his shoulder when he rested beside her.

Before Cait could register what she was doing, she leant in and softly brushed her lips against his. The feeling, although foreign, made so many memories flood back. The sweet smell of strawberries made Cait internally giggle, he still used the shampoo she got him. Her hands raised up to his face and gently she caressed his cheek with her thumb.

Cait has to pull back before she could take it further. Her cheeks were slightly blushed from the amount of heat running to them.

"Did you really fly all the way over here to see if I was okay?"

"First plane out," his soft smile barely filled his face and Cait could tell he was worrying.

"I'm fine, nothings wrong," Cait whispered, "no need to worry."

"I'm always going to worry about you. It's part of the job."

"What job?"

"Loving you," his lips curved at the corners before he leaned back in. Although it was short and sweet Cait wouldn't have changed it for the world.

"I love you too," her eyes watered, "and I'm sorry I was such a bitch."

"You had a reason though, I was just a stupid prick," he sucked in air after he spoke as if any wrong move would set off a minefield. Just looking at the man right in front of her made her forget all their fights and arguments and fall outs. All she wanted was him.

"You're my stupid prick, though," Cait chuckled at her cheesiness before hugging the young man tightly, "don't let me go, Keneti."

"I've made that mistake once. It's not happening again," he mumbled into her shoulder.

The two lovers didn't know how long they were holding each other until the doctor had stormed in, "oh, I'm sorry. Is this a bad time?"

"No, no," Cait dried under her eyes before looking up at the doctor.

"Well, I have good news, we'll keep you in over night for monitoring but by tomorrow the two of you will be stable and healthy to go home. I just have to prescribed some vitamins for you to take over the next couple of months."

"That's great, thank you," Cait said although confused by the older man's words.

"Was somebody else ill?" Keneti took the words right out of her mouth.

"Excuse me?" The doctor raised his eyebrow before taking off his glasses.

"You said 'the two of you' so I was just confused," Keneti trailed off on his last words. It was as if somebody had taken the air from his longs. Cait was wondering what he was thinking. Had he caught onto to something between the two of them?

"I'm sorry, you probably haven't shared that news yet," the doctors face went white as if he had destroyed someone's life.

"What do you mean? What's going on?" Cait's voice was showing confusion but she knew the answer.

"Catrina, you're pregnant."

"Fuck off."

- • -

[03.MAR.18]