Jesus help us!

A/N

Considering how awesome you have all been with reading and voting I was inspired to post another chapter. Enjoy! And please vote! Would so appreciate it!

***

She was a bundle of nerves! It had been so long since she had been out to dinner with a man. Em was just putting the finishing touches on her styling iron curls. She had mad skills when it came to hair, especially Soph's hair. If you didn't use hair product in just the right way, the curls wouldn't hold at all. And not everyone had the knack to turn ringlets into loosely styled curls the way Em did. 

"Stop fidgeting Soph. You will be fine. It'll be ok. You'll see."

Soph looked at her best friend in the mirror. She raised her eyebrows as she slightly ducked her head as if to say, "Yeah, ok." She still fidgeted with her fingers though. 

She had dressed in one of her more evening appropriate summer dresses. She'd paired it with a pair of wedge heels, that were definitely not polite. Six inches high at least. Soph had a thing for heels and was unapologetic about it. With her hair softly curled and her soft pink, dangly earrings, she looked as if she'd walked a soft summer sun off the beach into the evening. 

She checked the time. 6:30. She took a deep breath in. Half an hour and he would be there. 

***

He threw his bag into the back of his Merc, turned the ignition and roared the engine to life. He back out the drive, and promptly pulled off with a screech of wheels. While trying to maintain his focus on the road, his mind was a jumbled whirl of thoughts. 

He was consumed with worry for his mother. What had happened? How was it that she was in an accident? Did someone else cause it, or was she the cause? He felt sick at both thoughts, and scared at the second. He knew his mom hadn't been well lately and had been having black outs or woozy moments as she called them. Had she lost control of her car while driving? He slammed his hand on the steering wheel in frustration at not knowing details. He was analytical. Having information calmed him and right now he was anything but calm or informed. 

His thoughts swirled to his father. He must be so worried right now! He didn't get much from the conversation. For once, instead of calmly facing something in the moment, Kyle had uncharacteristically just rushed to get to the airport. His dad did tell him that his mom had been rushed to emergency and that things didn't look good. His mom was in theatre and they were operating. But he had no idea what her injuries consisted of and he had no idea what kind of surgery she was undergoing. 

He thought of his parents together and the bond they shared. They had, like many other couples, their ups and downs. More up than down thankfully as far as Kyle could tell. He was grateful for that. He was grateful for the relationship his parents had typified. He couldn't imagine what kind of relationship he would have ended up having with his ex, had they really gotten married. If she had it in her to cheat on him before the wedding, the consequences of such actions would only have been even more disastrous if they had kids after being married for some time. 

His thoughts drifted to Sophia. Damn! Sohpia! He had to call her. But what could he tell her? He knew how important it was to follow through with her. He knew that she had difficulty opening up to any man given that she'd obviously been really hurt before. Damn! What should he do or say. He glanced at his watch. It was 6:30. He groaned and closed his eyes momentarily. He scrolled to her name on his phone, and was about to hit the call button, when he tossed his phone aside abruptly and thought Screw it! to himself. He lunged the car to his let at 3rd avenue and floored it down the hill. 

It didn't take more than five minutes and he was in front of her house. He got out the car quickly, and looked up at the gate that was set above the level of the road as he locked his car. He lithely bounded up the steps to the gate, taking a deep breath in, before ringing the bell.