Chapter Three

Adrian

Jenna Tyler stood before the table in all her red-head glory, flashing her pearly whites, aimed at - surprise - Caleb.

Dallas whistled, low and long, running his eyes approvingly over her slim figure. "Damn," he smirked. "Christmas came early,"

I forced myself not to slam his shoulder with my fist, fury steadily building in my stomach. Dallas was the king of cheesy lines. But that wasn't what was infuriating.

It was Jenna. Beautiful, model slim, cruel, conniving, pretentious Jenna.

I always knew Jenna had it out for me, but for the life of me I didn't know why. Maybe because in kindergarten Trey Whitlock, her crush, stole her colouring-in book and gave it to me, telling everyone that it was his work and he wanted me to have it. Maybe it was because I never followed her around obediently like she wanted me to when we were eight - the same year that I met Caleb and we bonded instantly, the year he also helped me grow a backbone. Maybe it was because I had Caleb that she was so jealous.

Okay, so maybe I had a little idea of why she hated me.

I would be lying if I said the feeling wasn't mutual.

"What are you doing here, Jenna?" Caleb bit out, clearly frustrated. I frowned, wondering what was up with him. He was always impassive when Jenna was around, showing no emotion or even acknowledging her presence, which always seemed to increase her resentment towards me, believing I was forcing him to ignore her.

What the girl failed to understand was that nobody could ever force Caleb to do something he didn't want to do.

The only time Caleb showed any emotion with Jenna around was only when -

"Hey, Jason! Over here,"

Jason Tyler, Jenna's twin brother, popped inside the café. He spotted his sister and frowned at her, having only caught sight of Dallas, Sam and Aidan. But when his eyes travelled around the group and spotted me, they lit up and he immediately headed over, eyes green cat-like eyes - identical to his sisters- intent on me.

"Hey guys," he said, though it was obvious he was only speaking to me.

I shifted uncomfortably under Jason's intense scrutiny. Jason was the complete opposite of Jenna in every way except their almost identical looks. Sweet and genuine, Jason always did everything in his power to stop his sister's vindictive fury. Part of the 'in' crowd – which was just another word for pretentious idiots - Jason always seemed to have a thing for me - a thing that annoyed Caleb to no end. Caleb swore the kid was bad news, but I wasn't so sure. Yeah, the staring was completely creepy, but the guy worked at a pet centre. Surely a guy working with animals couldn't be that bad.

Besides, if he could manage to keep his sister on a leash - a barely restrained leash, but a leash nonetheless - earned him a few points in my books.

"Jason," Caleb greeted stiffly, shifting closer to me, angling his body in a protective position, practically shielding me from Jason's unnerving stare. Hostility rolled off him in waves, his body tight with tension. I resisted the urge to swoon when he wrapped a strong arm around my waist.

"Caleb," Jason nodded, "Caleb's friends," he addressed the other guys who were staring at Jason through narrowed eyes. Jason didn't falter under their death stare which was surprising since being under the direct force of The Cousins and Caleb's attention combined was enough to weaken any man's resolve...especially when that resolve included me.

"Hey, Adrian," Jason smiled at me, acting as if we were the only two in the room. That didn't sit well with Caleb seeing as how he shifted again, drawing me deep into his side. "How are you doing?"

I cleared my throat. "Err, fine Jason, thanks for asking."

Narrowing his eyes briefly on Caleb's arm around me, Jason turned to his sister. "Come on Jen, we've got to go,"

"But why?" Jenna whined in a voice she probably thought was cute. Her pout definitely wasn't. "We just got here,"

Giving her a stern look and a sheepish glance my way, he said, "Jenna, Trey's waiting in the car and you have to get ready for Hector's party. Grab the coffees and let's leave."

Jenna scowled at her twin then turned her attention back to us, fluttering those incredibly long, fake lashes. She purred, "See you around, Caleb."

Then the witch had the decency to wink at him. Wink! Argh, how I wanted to rip out those red extensions from her empty head and then laugh in her face. Those cat eyes missed nothing so she saw when the muscle beneath my eye twitched. She smirked in triumph.

Rolling his eyes, Jason grabbed her elbow and steered her away, waving gaily over his shoulder.

"See you later, Adrian!"

Waving back as much as I could around Caleb's body and restraining arm, I breathed a sigh of relief when the Tyler siblings walked out. The tension steeped out of his body and the other guys all relaxed. They started up a conversation on who was hotter - Megan Fox or Adriana Lima - and acted as if nothing happened.

"Prick," Caleb muttered, startling a laugh from me.

"He's not that bad," I insisted, already knowing where this conversation was heading.

Surprising me by not continuing the familiar argument, Caleb simply rolled his eyes and reached for his coffee. He handed me mine and stood. "Come on guys, we have to head back. Jack will have our asses on a stick if we don't head back soon."

Grumbling, The Cousins and Aidan stood, taking their drinks with them, still arguing on who was hotter. I rolled my eyes at their antics.

As we were all walking out of the cafe, I took the first sip of my drink, thinking back to Jenna's devious little face. The witch knew just how to get under my skin.

And I let her, I thought, shaking my head in disgust. Either I was becoming too predictable or Jenna was gradually becoming eviler.

My bet was a little bit of both.

As everyone climbed into the car, I walked a little distance over to a nearby bin. But just as I was about to throw the disposable cup away, something on it caught my attention.

There was a small white piece of paper attached to the bottom of the cup.

Frowning, I stared at the innocently folded paper. I surreptitiously glanced around, briefly wondering what the hell it was doing on my cup before curiosity got the better of me and I pried open the paper and read the little note.

My heart instantly stopped.

My Darling,

Watch your back. You never know who might be watching.

- TT

____

:O First threat. I know it's a little sudden and weird, but you'll get it. Vote and Comment I wanna know what you guys are thinking :) A big thanks to those who have already!