Chapter Twenty-Four

[Caleb's P.O.V]

Dallas stared at me blankly, as if he hadn't yet processed the full weight of my accusation.

My gut twisted painfully as I continued to stare at the man I considered an older brother. The same guy who had taught me how to really fight. The guy who - admittedly reluctantly - showed me the ropes to working at Jack's garage. The guy who treated me like family.

The guy that was looking at me like I had run over his cat.

I hadn't considered the possibility that it might be someone in our inner circle. It just didn't seem possible. But re-evaluating Dallas's odd behaviour lately, it all added up to Dallas looking like a damn suspicious suspect.

But how can you be sure? the part of my brain that was fiercely loyal to Dallas questioned anxiously.

I resisted the urge to squeeze my eyes painfully, and instead kept them locked firmly on Dallas, silently begging him to deny it.

"You think-" Dallas cut himself off. He closed his eyes and sucked in a deep, calming breath. After several suspenseful seconds, he reopened them, pure fury written in their depths. "You think I did all of this?"

Doubt flooded me, but I kept my back straight, relentlessly staring him down. "Answer the question, Dallas."

Dallas swallowed thickly, a bit of pain edging aside his anger.  "I helped you find her."

I held my ground. "That could just be a cover."

"You know what Caleb? Screw you!" Dallas snarled, his anger reaching his breaking point. "You've known me for years, man. Adrian's like a goddamn sister to me! Do you honestly think I'm capable of hurting her?"

"I don't know Dallas. Are you capable of hurting her?" I challenged.

"You're an ass! Don't you see what's happening here? TT is trying to turn us against each other! He's trying to plant these ridiculous ideas and doubts in our heads. You think this is helping Adrian? It's only making her more confused and uncertain!"

"Caleb?" Adrian's small voice shook with confusion and disbelief, soft against the harsh tones Dallas and I had spoken to each other in. "I-It c-can't be him. It's Dallas, for Pete's sake."

I swallowed down bile, sick to my stomach for even considering. "I know, babe. But it's too suspicious. I..." I sighed, finally averting my eyes. "I'm sorry Dallas but... I just don't believe you."

Dallas's body was rigid with tension, the only sound in the room his heavy breathing.I kept my eyes focused on a scar than ran down Dallas's bicep, the edges jagged as if the skin hadn't been stitched properly. I could see the way his muscles flexed with the pressure of restraining his temper, the tattoo's on his arm seeming to dance with each ripple.

"Jesse is the guy I hired to watch over everyone."

My head snapped up.

"What?"

Dallas folded his arms across his chest, his face an inscrutable mask. His hard jaw flexed and his eyes were steely. He was pissed, that was for sure.

"That day we got here I called up old...acquaintances. Yesterday, when Adrian got the note, I went to see Jesse. Ex-marine or military or some shit, I can't remember exactly, but he's good. I paid him to be on the look out, to be our eyes in case anything like this ever happened. Bloody good thing I did too, or else we wouldn't have a clue where these bastards are holding Sam and Kat."

"Why didn't you tell us earlier?" Adrian asked.

Dallas shrugged. "I was going to tell you but it never seemed like the right time. I also didn't want you guys to feel like your privacy was being invaded."

I felt like I had been punched in the gut.

Everything clicked into place. The disappearing, the phone calls...it all made sense now. The whole time Dallas had been the one who was actually doing something to help us and I had just accused him of being the villain. 

Fuck I'm stupid.

"Dallas-" I tried, voice strangled with regret.

His glare was scathing. "Shut up, Erickson. I can't deal with your shit at the moment. Jesse's waiting for me, so look after Adrian while I'm gone, okay? I don't want to have to worry about her safety when I'm going after my cousin."

"I'm going too,"

"No," was Dallas's and mine automatic response. We turned out heads to face her.

Adrian stood now, her hands placed on her hips. She jutted her chin out indignantly, determination etched on her tired features. The spark of life in her eyes was back, filled with fire and a desperate need to help.

"Yes," she insisted. "Sam and Kat getting kidnapped is all my fault. Don't you see? I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to either of them." She raised a hand when she saw us about to argue. "If you don't want me in the direct battle line, fine. But I am going with you. If Dallas has these connections that will rescue them, then I'm happy to step back. But I will be there. Is that understood?"

She didn't give us time to complain or argue, instead stormed to the front door and ripped it open.

"Well?" she snapped impatiently when we both just stared at her like idiots. "Are we going or what?"

Mutely, both Dallas and I obediently followed Adrian out the door.

"Is she that feisty in bed?" Dallas murmured as we watched Adrian thunder down the hall.

"I wouldn't know." I muttered back. Then I cleared my throat uncomfortably. "Uh, Dallas, 'bout what happened...I'm really sorry I didn't believe you man-"

"Don't worry about it," he shrugged it off. "When all this mess is cleared, then we can talk. Right now, the only thing I give a shit about is making sure Sammy's okay."

"Yeah," I sighed dejectedly when he walked off. "I'm the biggest idiot walking this planet,"

Damn straight, part of me scolded myself. How could you ever think it would be Dallas?

Things were just getting better and better.

__
*fends off angry readers*

Okay so I know this is a seriously short chapter ( so sorry! ) but I really think we needed to clear the air. It isn't Dallas! HA to all those who thought it was :P Shame on you for doubting him! Lol!

We're heading towards the end of the story (I'm thinking probably another five chapters, give or take a few) and I've got tons planned so no more short chapters and lots of action! Yeah! And sorry again you guys had to wait so long only to be disappointed by this chapter. Like I said, it's necessary but the next upload will be tons better and longer. Scout's honour!

So remember to:

Vote,

Comment,

And Fan!

(Will be back to edit since I wasn't happy with this chap)