Chapter Ten

[Adrian's P.O.V]

"Are you going to be alright, Adrian?" Tony's voice, laced awkwardly with concern, broke through my decidedly morbid thoughts. Once we were out of the rush of students and heading towards the field outside, he released his arm from around my shoulder, clearly uncomfortable with the amount of feminine emotions I displayed back in the school halls but showing his support nonetheless. His thoughtfulness was an attractive quality and it was one of the things I admired about him.

I could see what Cara saw in him.

I provided him with a weak smile, trying to hold back on the sniffles. I wrapped my arms protectively around myself, turning my attention to the lush grass and away from his imploring eyes.

"Yeah," I said dimly, scrubbing a hand absently over my face, smearing my tears on my cheeks. "I'm fine, Tony. Thanks for the help back there."

Tense silence drifted between us and I knew he wanted to say something but was struggling to find the words.

"Did...Did something happen between you and-" he cut himself off, catching sight of my involuntary flinch at the forewarned mention of Caleb.

As much as I tried to forget, to erase the oppressive image of another girls arms wrapped around Caleb, it was permanently seared into my brain, always on the edge of my thoughts. Just when I thought it was gone, it would come back in sharp focus, the burning in my chest a physical ache.

That should've been me, I thought glumly, digging my nails into the palm of my hand. For a brief second the stinging sensation in my palm momentarily compressed the steadily growing heartache.

But why should've it been me? I was Caleb's best friend, nothing more, nothing less.

Except, I wanted to be something more.

God, I was stupid. I was so, so stupid it would have been laughable if I wasn't in so much turmoil. I had no reason to be angry. So what if Caleb ditched me? If I were a guy, I would have shrugged it off, even might have patted him on the back for scoring such a pretty girl. And a week ago, I would have. So what if I loved the kid? So what if it was more than just a stupid crush? Was one kiss really enough to destroy everything we ever had between us?

I realised, with a clarity that slammed into me, that no. It wasn't enough. My heart was broken, yeah, but trying to ignore Caleb was a futile attempt of me trying to lick my wounds and get some sort of dignity back.

Caleb was worth more to me than some stupid fight.

But how the hell was I going to explain everything?

Once again, the detestable bell rang (I was seriously considering protesting about removing that bell), and resolved to tell Caleb everything.

Except...you know...my undying love for him. That could be saved for another day...like never.

After asking me numerous times if I would be okay to get to class, Tony finally scattered, leaving me to stumble my way to P.E.

I took my time getting to class since I absolutely abhorred the subject - I blamed it on my complete lack of coordination - and also because it was one of the subjects Caleb and I shared and despite the fact that I just decided to tell him everything, I needed a little bit more time to build up the courage needed.

I sighed. How exactly was I going to say, "Oh hey Caleb, sorry I forgot to mention earlier since I was trying to avoid you because I'm desperately in love with you...but never mind that, I just have a psycho stalker breaking into my house and sending me threatening letters. So, what's for lunch?"