Chapter Twelve

This is a special dedication to writeon27 - AGAIN! - for being a constant supporter throughout this story and to everyone else whose read and liked it. Love you all! <3

___________________________________________________________________________

[Adrian's P.O.V]

Kat's place was a cute little local apartment. I was surprised when Kat told me she didn't live at home, but I didn't pry any questions from my new friend.

"Mi casa es su casa," Kat grinned and, with a flourish, pushed open the peeling cream door and I was immediately greeted by the sweet scent of perfume, heavy and potent in the air. My nose twitched and behind me I heard Kat sneeze, catching whiff the sticky, scent-tingling fragrance. I glanced down and sure enough, there was a broken bottle of perfume laying at my feet. The side table where I assumed the bottle had stood on, had been knocked askew.

"What the-?" Kat's question was cut off by a small, pitiful meow.

"Sylvester!" Kat cried in dismay, dropping her purse and coat on the door beside the door, completely ignoring the coat rack that stood unused a foot away. "What did you do, you naughty cat?"

The answering meow was even more miserable than the first one. Down the hallway sat a black and white kitten, pawing at the floorboards with blunt nails, a clear look of mercy on it's little face. When Kat advanced, it rolled over on it's back, submitting to Kat's wrath, little legs pawing helplessly at the air, head thrashing side to side. Indeed, it was Sylvester reincarnated into this little kitten, white paws and all.

Kat sighed and crouched down and scratched the kittens stomach. "What am I going to do with you?" she muttered.

"Cute cat," I commented from the doorway, standing awkwardly with my purse strapped to my shoulder, feeling like an intruder.

"Thanks. I adopted him from the shelter down town just last week. Still house training him, obviously," she muttered the last part, huffing out a breath in exasperation.

I took the time to take in my surroundings. Judging from the outside, I would have expected the inside to be much like it - a dump. But much to my surprise, the inside was actually really charming. The furniture was worn and mismatched, the flowery patterns of the wooden chair cushions reminding me of that 60's and 70's wall paper that was so popular back in the day. Dim lighting came from a table side lamp that reflected warm, vibrant colours off the unusual coloured walls. The puke green of the walls wasn't the most appealing colour and clashed horribly with the furniture, but something about the whole place just felt like...home.

"Well don't just stand there. Take a load off, make yourself at home," she gestured towards the sofa, already shucking off her shoes, not noticing the way I winced at the word 'home'.

"Thanks," I mumbled, peeling off the large grey coat Caleb's grandmother had gifted me with last Christmas. The woman was old, but she did have amazing fashion sense.

"Nice place," I complimented when I had situated myself on the large pale pink sofa that I suspected was once a nice creamy beige colour, right by the armrest. Kat sat with her back leaning against the other arm rest, Sylvester whining and scrapping on Kat's leg until she sighed and picked him up. Sylvester instantly crawled over Kat and over to me, rubbing up against my leg insistently until I scratched him under the chin. He purred contently, crawling up until he was nestled comfortably on my stomach, resting his head on his white paws.

"He likes you," Kat said obviously, with some surprise.

"Yeah. I guess so."

Silence drifted between us, not the tense, awkward kind of silence that usually happens when you first meet somebody, but the kind of silence that people developed after years of familiarity, the only sound Sylvester's appeased little purrs.