Chapter Twenty-One

[Adrian's P.O.V]

Inside Kat's apartment, silence reigned.

Everybody held still, bodies tense and alert. I could see Sam standing by the window, his attentive gaze intent on the world below, straying occasionally to Kat who sat huddled on the couch, arms wrapped protectively around her. Her wide-eyed stare was fixated on Sylvester who had been returned from the neighbours. The lazy cat rolled on his back, his legs kicking in the air as he nibbled on a piece of string he pulled from a pillow. He was doing an amazing job at entertaining himself and ignoring the strained atmosphere around him.

Caleb was rigid beneath me, but he too didn't say a word. I could hear the clicking sound his jaw made as he gritted his teeth together to keep from venting his anger. His dark eyes burned with fire, the kind of fire I had seen in previous times. That was usually before he slammed his fists into his opponents face. But this time he simply held me tightly to his chest as if he feared I'd run from him again.

But I had learnt my lesson on running from my problems.

I shuddered as my mind drifted back to what I has seen and curled deeper into Caleb's chest, seeking more of his warmth to wash away the coldness that flooded my veins.

"Kat," Caleb's voice penetrated the dark cloud of fear and anxiety that cloaked my mind. His smooth, velvet voice was like a beacon of light in the darkness that plagued my mind. "Do you have the evidence?"

Evidence.

Another violent shudder rolled through me, a sob threatening to break free from my chest. Caleb, feeling the effects of my horror, ran his hands down my neck. He forcefully tilted my head up so I could meet his tortured eyes. Fresh tears burned my eyes when I saw the pain his held witnessing my meltdown.

"Are they okay?" I grabbed his shirt desperately, searching his eyes. "They're all safe, right? No one is hurt?"

Caleb's face tightened with strain. "I don't know," he croaked, ripping his eyes away from mine. "I haven't spoken to anyone since I found you."

Lie.

I sucked in a sharp breath. "You're lying,"

A muscle in his jaw jumped and I knew I was right. He was lying to me.

Oh God. What happened to make him lie to me?

"Caleb," My nails unintentionally dug into his chest. "Who did you speak to?"

He didn't answer me. He refused to look me in the eyes, his narrowed gaze secured on Sylvester who had moved to scrapping his nails on the couch.

I jumped out of his lap and, on shaky legs, I ran to his leather jacket which was draped across the back of the sofa Kat sat on. I rummaged through the pockets until I found his phone. I flickered through his recent calls and my heart lurched painfully in my chest when I saw his last caller.

I pressed the call button and I waited.

"Caleb?"

I licked my dry lips, my hands curling into fists. "Hey Grandma,"

                                                                               ***

Maria sighed heavily, as if a great burden had been lifted from her shoulders. "Adrian. How are you doin' baby girl?"

My eyes burned hotly. "I'm f-fine, grams. A little shaken up but nothing I can't handle."

"That's my gurl. Now what did that boy do now?"

I ignored her questions and asked, "You know, don't you?"