Two: First Night

The next evening Larry reported back to the museum at five o'clock sharp, just as promised, dressed in his new uniform. There he met Cecil, Reginald, and Gus who gave him his keys, flashlight, and a list of instructions, as well as the instruction not to 'let anything in, or out.' With that they had left, leaving the entire museum in his care.

Still pondering over what they had meant by not letting anything out, Larry began to explore a bit. He flicked on some lights and began wandering around the lobby. After some of this, he came and sat at the front desk.

That was when he heard something - movements it sounded like, growing louder. As he continued to listen, they began to sound like footsteps. Larry took his flashlight from his belt and slowly left the front desk and walked beneath the archway leading into the exhibits. The sound was louder now - definitely footsteps.

He rounded the corner right as another figure did from the other side - the source of the footsteps. Both jumped. Recovering, he found that it was only Natasha Bentley, the manager of the Ancient Egypt exhibit.

"Oh, hi Larry," she said, also recovering from their scare.

"Hi Natasha. I didn't think anyone was still here."

"Oh yeah I sometimes stay a little later, I seem to work better in the evening. Cecil and the other former guards said it was alright as long as I was gone before dark, so if it's alright with you? I promise I won't be in your way, I'll just keep to my office."

"Oh yeah, of course."

"Okay, thanks! Well goodnight Larry, have a good first shift."

"Thanks, goodnight." And with that she was gone. Now he really was alone.

But not for long...

--------------------------------

Larry had had a lot of strange jobs over the years, and within those jobs had been many strange shifts. Well last night, without a doubt, had been the strangest yet.

He was the night guard of a museum that came alive every night because of a magical Ancient Egyptian tablet. And now he was stuck with it, he had agreed to carry on. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have to worry about getting eaten by lions, killed by Huns, or driven crazy by a mischievous monkey.

"It's so great that you're working here." Nick's words repeated themselves through his head. He'd looked so inspired, so proud, Larry thought, he couldn't disappoint him. He'd give it another try.

He took Cecil's advice and reviewed his history, going to the library and searching the internet. There was so much to learn, so many people and places and time periods to cover...

His second night, at least he was prepared for what was to come and it wasn't all a big shock. By the end of it, he was exhausted. He had focused on familiarizing himself with everything, and everyone's needs so that he could be better prepared for the nights to come. By the end, when morning finally came, he was exhausted, but also felt accomplished. He had survived another night, and was now officially the night guard.

(Hello, thanks so much for reading, hope you're enjoying so far :) Hmm, the other guards told Natasha that she could stay as long as she was gone before dark... Hmm... ;) Haha! Keeping the secret safe! And I am extending the time during which Larry worked at the museum, adding in more nights as you may have noticed, just for the purpose of the story. Anyways, those are just some notes from me! Thanks, bye for now!)