Twenty-Four: Egypt, Finally!

At last, they reached Egypt. They stood in the entryway into the grand exhibit. Nat was entranced by the huge hall and vast collection of artifacts. "Wow. We should update our exhibit, expand it to look more like this. Huh Ahk?" Ahk smiled.

"Perhaps I should accompany you," Lancelot said.

"No, we'll take it from here," Larry said quickly. The knight looked a little taken aback.

"Really?" protested Nick.

"Yeah, we're good."

"Well, it really is no trouble-"

"We're fine," Larry insisted.

"Well then-" Lancelot patted Nick on the shoulder. "Friends, Larry, the clown-faced keeper of the magic tablet – I shall never forget your bravery, nor your jests."

Larry nodded, looking more than happy to finally be rid of the knight. "Well, thanks again. Goodbye."

"I shall not say 'goodbye,'" Lancelot began, sounding as though he were about to launch into another one of his speeches, but Larry cut him off.

"Well I am, we've got to go, sorry, bye." He turned to go.

Nat turned to the knight. "Thanks, Lance," she said.

"'Lance?'" repeated Larry, stopping and turning back around. "Really? He's got a nickname now?"

"Well Lance for Lancelot," she said as though it were obvious. "It's just like 'Lar' for Larry."

"Not really, but whatever," he said, brushing it aside, about to continue on.

She scoffed. "What's the matter? Why are you so upset all of the sudden?"

"I'm not-"

"Yeah you are. What is it? Speak to me, tell me, please," she said, her tone softening, now sounding more concerned than irritated. "That's what couples do, they talk to each other. Or at least they should. Larry this isn't healthy, you're stressing yourself out too much-"

"I am not-" he argued.

"Yes you are! You're working yourself too hard, both Nicky and I have noticed. You can't help the others if you're not willing to help yourself! You've got to take a minute-"

"We don't have time. Do you not understand what's at stake here? Do you even care?"

"You're saying I don't care? Well let me remind you that I was at the museum for close to four years before you – four years! So don't tell me I don't care! Please just let us help you, we want to, and we're more than willing to. You don't have to take this on all by yourself."

"Yeah, well, I don't need you to," Larry snapped.

The space settled into uncomfortable silence. Nick winced.

Hurt flashed across Nat's eyes. Larry sighed. "Let's talk about this when we get home-"

"Talk about what?" she cut in. "You've obviously made yourself very clear." With that, she stormed into Egypt.

"I haven't seen these halls in many a moon," Ahk exclaimed as they journeyed further into the grand exhibit. Up ahead sat two opened and empty sarcophaguses.

"Ahkmen?" A woman in ancient costume entered the room then.

Ahk's jaw dropped. "Mother!"

Mother and son embraced, reunited at last. A man in elaborate robes entered next.

"Father," said Ahk.

"Welcome home, my son," said his father, also hugging his son.

"Mother, Father, I want you to meet my friends," Ahk introduced. "Everyone, these are my parents-"