Fifteen: One Night to Save the Day

It didn't take Larry and Nat long to realize that they were standing in the worst possible spot - right at the centre between the two charging armies.

They were bumped and knocked about as they tried to escape the chaos. In all the commotion, the hourglass flew from Larry's hand and went rolling through the battle, getting kicked about, with Jed still trapped inside.

"It's alright Larry, I shall help Jedediah!" called Octavius.

While the Roman rushed to the assistance of their friend, Larry and Nat swerved their way through the battle, until at last they reached the edge of it. Just when they thought they were safe, an enemy soldier jumped out in front of them, blocking their path with a yell. Thinking fast, Nat threw a punch, hitting him right in the jaw and knocking him back.

"Nice one," complimented Larry.

"Thanks." She grinned.

"Okay, when I give you the signal, I want you to open the gate," he said.

She grinned. "I take it you've got a plan then."

"Yeah, I'm going to divide the house."

"Okay, what's the signal?"

"Uh-" Come to think of it, he hadn't thought about that. "I'll, uh, give you a nod."

"Okay... Best get to it then!" As she turned to rejoin the fight, Larry took her arm.

"Hey-" He pulled her back to him in a kiss.

They pulled away and she smiled. With that, she ran off back through the battle.

After successfully dealing with Capone, Napoleon, and Ivan, they now being too distracted arguing amongst themselves to fight him, Larry searched for Nat. They met eyes and he gave her a nod. She smiled and nodded back, heading for the gate.

Larry began to make his way through the chaos, only to have a blade held to his neck. Kahmunrah stepped out of the shadows. "Very clever Larry Daley. Now I guess I will just have the pleasure of killing you myself!"

"Larry!" cried Nat, watching as Kahmunrah lunged at him with a small curved blade.

Lucikly Larry reacted in time, withdrawing his flashlight from his belt and using it to block the blade. He and Kahmunrah began a fight blade-to-flashlight, and Larry quickly nodded to Nat as the signal. She began pressing the squares in the right sequence.

Everyone had stopped their own fighting to watch the epic showdown between Larry and Kahmunrah. The pharaoh definitely had the upper hand, having an actual weapon on his side. Larry did use the flashlight to his advantage though, using it to momentarily blind his opponent at one point. This gave Nat just enough time to finish the combination and open the gate.

Now Larry held the pharaoh in a headlock, just as with an eerie rumble, the gate slid open.

"What are you?" cried Kahmunrah.

"I'm the night guard." With that, Larry threw Kahmunrah back, the pharoah, screaming, falling deep into the underworld. When he disappeared, Nat pushed the gate closed, sealing it shut.

There was a stunned silence amongst the crowd before everyone erupted into victorious cheering. There was applause and hugs and reunions. Larry and Nat rushed to greet their museum friends, finally freed.

Larry held up his flashlight. "This sure comes in handy."

Nat smiled. "It sure does." They hugged.

"I'd say someone found his moxie," remarked Amelia, giving him a playful punch to the shoulder.

"The Battle of the Smithsonian," announced Custer. "Perhaps the greatest battle the world will never know."

"We'll know." Larry looked down at his watch. "Oh man, we've only got an hour left till sunrise, and we've still got to get back to New York."

"In case you forgot Gigantor, they don't want us there anymore," said Jed.

"Well we do," Larry said, putting an arm around Nat who nodded in agreement. "Hey Amelia, do you think you could get us a ride?"

The pilot grinned, an excited glint in her eyes. "It would be my pleasure!"

(Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! One more chapter until part three - yay! Thanks so much for reading and for the 500+ reads! And Happy New Year! :))