Sixteen: Reunited

"Well, there you are, back where you belong." Amelia grinned, stepping down out of the plane. She'd landed smoothly right in front of the museum back home in New York.

"Yeah." Holding hands, Larry and Nat shared a smile. Their exhibit friends had already gone inside, eager to be home.

"Well then, my work here is done. And I suppose then that this is goodbye."

"Yeah, guess so." Larry nodded. "Hey, Amelia. Listen, there's not an easy way to put this, but, in the morning-"

"I know what's coming Mr. Daley, I've always known. But it doesn't matter. You've given me the adventure of a lifetime all in one night." Then she smiled her charming smile. "And I have a feeling that it's going to be a beautiful sunrise. Now come here." She first gave him a hug, then Nat.

"Thank you, for everything," Nat said.

The pilot gave them one last of her cheery smiles. "Good luck," she told them. "And have fun." She winked and then climbed back into the plane. They waved as she took flight, headed back for D.C.

After standing for a moment in the middle of the quiet street, hand-in-hand, Larry and Nat made their way inside the museum.

"Lawrence! Miss Bentley! Bless you for bringing them back!" cried Teddy when they entered the lobby where a happy reunion amongst the exhibits was taking place. "Might I say a hearty well-done is in order! But might I also point out, they cannot hide in the basement forever."

"Yeah no, I think I got that figured out," Larry told him. Nat was now speaking with Ahk, the tablet clutched safely in his hands.

"Sun come, Dum-Dum," called the Easter Island head, announcing the approaching dawn.

"He is right, the dawn will soon be upon us." Teddy moved to climb up onto Tex's back.

"Hey Teddy." Larry stopped him. "You remember the other night you were saying something about the 'key to happiness' and then the sun rose and you froze. Well I think I've figured it out: it's doing what you love, isn't it. With the people you love."

Teddy grinned and patted him on the shoulder before climbing up onto Tex's back. "Lawrence, welcome home Son."

--------------------------------

Through the great generosity of an 'anonymous donor', the museum was able to complete its renovations, with the agreement that everything stay the same. Well, maybe not everything...

The new Night Program lured hundreds of guests to the museum during the new evening hours where they were fully immersed in special effects that really 'brought history to life'. Or so they thought.

Larry smiled and waved at Nicky who was sitting at the front desk who smiled and waved back.

"Well, well, well, well, well." A very smiley McPhee came up to join him. "I see the uniform still fits after these long, long years."

"Yeah. It really hasn't been that long, but-" Larry smiled, smoothing down his uniform jacket.

"So to what do we owe this 'triumphant' return?"

"I sold my company."

"Ah I see."

"Yeah."

"So you'll stick around for a bit longer this time?"

"I'm sticking around," Larry confirmed with a smile.

"Oh, good. Cause, you know, as far as night guards go, you're the - b-best." It sounded like McPhee forced out the word.

"Excuse me, Mr. Night Guard, but could you point me in the direction of Ancient Egypt, I'm always getting lost." Larry chuckled as Nat appeared at his side.

"Ah, Miss Bentley. I was just remarking to Mr. Daley here about the success of this new Night Program. You know, I wasn't so sure about it at first, but now-" He finished with a content sigh.

"It is a pretty cool idea," Nat agreed.

McPhee shook his head in disbelief. "Today's technology is beyond me."

"I know, so lifelike." Larry and Nat shared a knowing smile, their arms around each other.

McPhee watched them. "Wait, you two, you're not, not-" He waved a finger back and forth between them. "Like, together-together, are you?"

The two in question exchanged a knowing glance, then turned back to the director. Eyebrows raised, McPhee sauntered off.

Nat and Larry stifled a laugh. "I guess we're just a really awful couple," Nat joked.

"Yeah, guess so."

"And did I hear McPhee call you the best or am I hearing things?

"No he said it, or tried to at least."

"He's right you know." She smiled up at him. "Well, I'd better get back to Egypt. Ahk and I left the tablet with Dexter, so you never know what he'll get into. We don't want a repeat of last time."

"No we don't. It was kind of exciting though."

"It was. Like Amelia said, it was an adventure."

--------------------------------

"So where are we going?" Nat asked a few days later as Larry led her through Manhattan.

"You'll see." He grinned.

A few minutes later they arrived at the bustling, colourful Times Square.

"Here we are," he said, stopping.

"Okay." She looked around. "What are we doing?"

"This." Before she could ask more questions, he dipped and kissed her. For a moment she was confused, but then it clicked - just like 'War's End Kiss'.

When they pulled away she smiled. "Smooth Daley, very smooth." They chuckled and kissed again.

(Aww! So I don't know about you guys but I've been waiting for such a moment ;) Haha! So unfortunately we don't get the cute scene between Larry and Amelia's look-alike (I always liked that scene!) but hopefully this worked! Thanks so much for reading (and the 700+ reads!) and now, without further ado, onto Part Three!)