Twenty-Seven: Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Almost instantly, everyone was revived. Dexter leapt up into Larry's arms and the friends embraced.

Following their moment of triumph, Larry turned to Lancelot who stood looking out at the nighttime London skyline. "Hey, thank you."

Lancelot turned away for a moment, fixing his still melting nose. When he turned back, his nose was slightly crooked, but mostly fixed. "How do I look?"

Larry smiled. "Just like Lancelot."

------------------------------------

Back at the museum, Ahk presented his parents with the fixed tablet.

"Well done, my child," said his mother.

His father approached Larry. "Thank you for bringing my son home safely. It's a strange thing, watching your boy become a man."

"Yeah, it's crazy," agreed Larry, looking at Nick. "One day, they're riding a dinosaur through Central Park, and then the next they're DJ-ing in Ibiza."

The Pharaoh appeared confused for a moment, before shaking it off. "You have served my family well. We shall build a great tomb and bury you with many riches. I personally will see to it that your organs are removed and placed in separate, jewel-encrusted jars."

Larry nodded. "Uh, thank you-" He'd have to ask Nat about that later.

"Lawrence," said Teddy, waving him over. "The others and I have been talking..."

"Ahkmenrah belongs here with his family," said Octavius. "And he should remain here."

"And the tablet should remain here with him, Son," added Teddy.

"This is where it belongs, Gigantor."

"Yeah, but, that would mean you guys would have to stay."

"We belong in New York," said Sac, Attila agreeing in his native tongue.

"Yeah but if you guys go, you won't be alive after tonight," Larry reminded them.

"We're museum exhibits, Gigantor," Jed reminded him. "It's what we are. Folks come to look at us, maybe learn a little something. That's alive, man. There's worse fates."

"B-but-" Larry couldn't believe it. "I'm supposed to take care of you guys."

"And you have," Teddy assured him. "It's okay Lawrence, we're ready."

Larry shook his head. "But I'm not."

Teddy gave him a reassuring smile. "Let us go, Son."

Larry looked as though he were about to protest further.

"Larry," Nat said gently. He looked to her and Nicky who were nodding in agreement.

"Thank you for bringing me back home to my family Larry," said Ahk. "Guardian of Brooklyn. Now it is time for you to return to your family."

"Dad, if we leave now we can still catch a flight, and get home with everyone still awake before the sun comes up," said Nicky.

"Yeah, okay," said Larry, still baffled. "Let's go home."

---------------------------------

"Farewell Young Nick, Sir Larry," Lancelot said when bidding them farewell. "And Lady Natasha, his Guinevere."

"Thanks again, Sir Lancelot."

-----------------------------------

"It sure is quiet around here," remarked Jed when they arrived back home.