Winter's War

The eyes are the window to the soul.
This story takes place in a country named Récee (R-a-cee). Many centuries ago a civil war broke out, making the country split into North and South. The Elementals helped fix the problem. Their powers were able to mend the ruins and help everyone. Then rumors started to spread about a boy with golden eyes.

- Ambrose -

The town was quiet as I walked through it. I held a basket of herbs, my sunglasses shielding my eyes. More looks came my way as I adjusted the long-sleeves of my tunic.

As I reached the trading port I heard a gunshot go off. My head whipped around as I saw the Elementals on their camels as they rode towards us. I immediately looked away and tried to trade with a merchant.

I felt everyone start to look at me, and I ignored them. The man, with much coaxing, eventually gave me a loaf of bread. My body whipped around as I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Their hand made my body warm. I felt the person's energy mix with mine. I shivered and I tried to pull away. The person just stood there. The salesman backed away, pulling down the shades on his shop.

I did my best to back away, wanting to go home. The person then grabbed my wrists, using fire to bind them. I pulled and felt my skin flare up. Grimacing, I looked up at the person. They just started to lead me away. I felt my glasses starting to slip so I flicked my head back. They went back into place and I let out a sigh.

“We can't allow you to wear these.” The person gently removed my glasses and I closed my eyes. I felt a different pair of glasses go over my eyes, but I didn't open them. “It's okay now, we know.” The person smiled and lifted me onto the camel and got on behind me.

The animal lurched and I was thrown back into the person's chest. I just sat there, eventually I heard the chatter of the town start to fade. Once I heard nothing I opened my eyes.

We were riding through the desert, but it was all dark. I wasn't sure what these glasses were doing but I could look at the sun without hurting my eyes.

I felt myself drift off to sleep, the cuffs still on my wrists. When I woke up the sun was starting to set over the horizon. I saw a camp and people were tending to the camels. My eyes widened in shock as I saw two people step on a rock and disappear underground.

The person from earlier came over to me and undid the cuffs. Before I could say anything they spoke.

“We know you're not stupid to run away when nothing's around here. So don't bother trying to sound high and mighty, because you're not.” They then proceeded to take me to the rock. Even though I didn't want to agree, they were right. I looked around, no bushes, animals, or insects for miles.

I felt their grip tighten on me as a loud swoosh took us underground.

My eyes adjusted quickly to the lit area. I shook my head to clear my thoughts as I took in the view. It was all lit by electricity, and I basked in the light. My thoughts drifted again, as I thought about how poor my town was. There was no electricity going to it, and we had to use oil lamps at night.

I was taken to a room. The cuffs burning my wrists more now and I grimaced. The person noticed and then the cuffs were removed, but a different set connected me to the table.

“Why am I being questioned? I have done no wrong.” Except for the fact that I've stolen plenty of food for my family, which wasn't that uncommon. The person chuckled before opening the door.

“It's not about that sweetheart. It's about why you have all those markings.” The person left, leaving me shocked. I looked at my tunic, it wasn't see-through, so how did they know?

A woman walked in with two shorter people following behind her. She took a seat in front of me. Her eyes were a bright red and she looked at me with interest.

“You wanna explain how you got those tats dear?” Her accent was definitely from the North because I've never heard it before. I looked away from her, not saying anything. She sighed and motioned for the man to come closer.

“Honey, you have to tell us or we’ll have to increase the current of the shackles. We know you don't want to speak, but we're here to help you.” I wanted to retaliate, but then I felt a shock and I screeched. I shut my eyes and let out a breath.

“I didn't get them, I was born with them.” I lied smoothly, then another shock ran through me. I gasped before groaning in pain. The woman shook her head sighing.

“Honey, I'm used as their interrogator. I'm one of the rarer Elementals because I don't have nature-like powers.” I glared at her and she glared right back at me. I clasped my hands together as I continued to look in her direction.

“Alright, fine.”

The day was smothering hot. The humidity was making everyone sweat. It's not like my parents cared though, they came here to bake in the sun.

I was not interested in doing that. Instead, I wanted to go swimming. I had hung my towel on the tree to dry, and I dove back into the water.

The water was murky towards the bottom, but you could still see everything. I swam around, looking at all of the colorful fish. There were Koi among others. I noticed there was some trash under a rock and a turtle was struggling.

I swam over to the turtle, he must've slipped because the area was close to the surface. My eyes scanned the area but there was only moss and plenty of silt. As I treaded the water, the silt got kicked up.

I was easily able to get the turtle out after going up for air a couple of times. I threw the bundle of plastic bags and straws up to the surface where I could dispose of it later.

I swam back down to try to find more trash, my new mission. I quickly found some, and I grabbed it, but I couldn't swim away. I looked down, but the silt covered whatever was holding my down.

I wanted to scream, I wanted someone to hear me. I wasn't stupid though, but I jerked my leg multiple times to try to get it out. Every time I moved it seemed as if I only got more tangled.

After a few more tries I tried to use my hands to undo the thing wrapped around my ankle, I couldn't. Again, I wanted to scream to let someone know I needed help.

My consciousness started to fade as I felt the oxygen begin to leave my lungs. I hazily watched the bubbles leave my mouth as I closed my eyes.

I didn't know how much time had passed. I looked to the shore above and saw my parents facing the woods, trying to get the girls to put on their shoes. My head felt like lead. My eyes rolled around as I tried to clear my mind.

I looked around, confused on why I wasn't dead. Or was I? My eyes drifted down to the ground and I saw my body. I gagged, seeing blood droplets floating around my ankle. Then I felt my stomach lurch. I dry heaved and felt my body starting to burn.

There was no fire but my whole body ached. The pain racking my body as I curled into a ball. I whimpered weakly as I tried to make the pain go away.

I let out a silent scream before it all vanished.

My mind was clear, I could see everything, hear everything. I looked down on my body and my jaw dropped. My eyes were golden, and markings from the head down. The cut on my ankle was gone.

A loud woosh and suddenly bubbles surrounded my body. Then my eyes closed and I was surfacing the water like nothing happened.

I looked like a monster.

“And I am one.”