Ditch

The only thing in life that you need is family.

Aspen-

It was near due time for the storm. We knew before we left home to live with family in Canada, that there was going to be a snowstorm. My brother understood that we were going to have to stop in the next town to rest before starting tomorrow.

It wasn't late at night only around six. The sun was slowly sinking over the horizon. I turned to look at my brother and he sipped his drink quietly.

“Oh wow-” I murmured softly as the snow started to fall. It was heavy and wet. The snow was slick and it was difficult to keep traction.

Then it took a turn for the worse. Only a few miles away from a hotel, a blizzard started. I already had the heat on full blast, but it was getting colder as the storm brewed.

“We need to pull over, let me know when you find an open spot.” My brother looked out the window, not saying anything. His eyes widened as he let out a scream.

A large tree was falling, a loud boom echoed in the forest as it fell onto the road. I brakes and my brother continued to scream. The car rammed into the side of the tree.

I felt the airbag explode, and I laid there limply. My brother was shaking me, but it all started to fade.

Jack Colden-

The house was holding up well to the storm. I was just surprised that it wasn't hailing. My older brother was outside scouting with me. We looked for any trees that were fallen, and there weren't many.

The closer we got to the main road, however, was a different story. Many older trees were toppled over. I noticed a few trees in the road and my brother and I silently agreed.

We sprinted over to the trees and I saw a car that was heading straight for the tree. Then it crashed, and collapsed. My brother ran over to the passenger side when I went to the driver’s. The boy was talking non-stop and my brother was trying to calm him.

I saw the driver, a brunette teen that was unconscious. He was small and bleeding out. I picked him up, wrapping my coat around him.

My brother was already running back with the boy to go tell our parents. I quickly walked, not wanting to jostle the boy too much.

By the time we got home the boy’s nose stopped bleeding, but I didn't know how bad his wounds were. My mother was already waiting in my room with the first aid.

I set the boy down, my jacket sliding off his shoulders. My mother shoved me out of the room and I stood on the other side of the door, waiting until she was finished.

It was nightfall when she called me in. She walked out to wash the blood off her hands. I sat down next to the boy.

His face was as pale as snow, and his hair a deep brown, and freckles on the bridge of his nose

Bandages surrounded his middle and he laid there weakly. I noticed a bandage on his nose where there was a deep cut.

My mother came back in, her hair disheveled. She yawned, tired after working on the boy.

“Honey, give him time to rest.” Her voice was soft, and she beckoned for me to follow her out of the room.

Jack-

I didn't know how much time had passed before I woke up. When I did, I noticed I was in a stranger's bed. My eyes widened as I quickly sat up, immediately feeling a stab of pain in my abdomen.

A boy was asleep next to me who had snow white hair. I blushed, not sure how he got there. Nudging him, he grogilly started to wake up. His eyes shot open when he saw me, a pale blue.

“What's your name?” He asked, his voice comforting. I smiled softly and looked around.

“I'm Aspen Frosf, um… who are you, and why am I here?” He laughed softly before answering.

“Jack Colden, you were in a car crash because of the blizzard. My brother and I noticed that you were bleeding, so we brought you here with your brother.” I nodded and bit my lip.

I got out of bed, even though Jack was trying to get me to lay down and rest. I glared at him before I tried to put of my shirt and I grimaced in pain.

“Here, let me help.” Jack helped me get my arms through the sleeves. His hands were warm and I felt myself leaning into his warmth. Before I realized it, I noticed there was a blanket wrapped around my shoulders.

I smiled before walking down the stairs. I saw my brother with Jack’s brother huddled around the fire. I sat down near them and shivered, the house very cold.

“We lost power last night, your brother has been freezing his ass off. I'm Noah.” He said while looking at me. I nodded and clutched the blanket tightly.

Before I could speak I heard a loud gust of wind and my brother let out a shriek. I chuckled while my brother stole Noah’s warmth.

Jack came down soon after I did and sat down next to me. We quietly watched the fire before my brother spoke.

“How about some truth or dare?” I silently nodded and Noah went to go get a beer bottle. I yawned and my brother nudged me with a wink. I rolled my eyes and faced away from him, coughing weakly.

Jack looked at me with concern written on his face. My stomach twisted into knots as Noah returned.

“Jack- I don't feel good,” I murmured. My hands wrapped around my stomach as I clutched it. Noah looked at Jack before running to get his mom.

“You were out for a good day, maybe there's an infection.” Jack's mom walked into the room and undid the bandages.

Once the bandages fell off she gasped softly, and my brother dry-heaved. I looked down and immediately felt sick.

“Either we get you to a hospital now-” she didn't finish.

“Or you're going to die.”