Truth in Nightmares

When you dream your fears become a reality.
Lucian-

The worst part about dreaming is that it's all real. Parts of your dream seeping into reality, tormenting the lives of others. No one knew how these specific parts were chosen, no. Whatever did though, always made life a living hell.

I was one of the first one’s killed. It was painful, feeling as if my body was being ripped to shreds. My dream had seeped into reality, a stab wound bleeding through my shirt.

Somehow, my real body survived. My unconscious body however, was another story. When I went to sleep at night I felt the pain over and over again, the blood coming from my lower abdomen. No doctors were around and I hadn't learned how to stitch myself.

I learned to deal with it. Eventually, my sleep began to dwindle from hours on end to maybe a wink at night. Work suffered because of it, but it wasn't hard to figure out.

Laying in my bed I thought about what I was going to see tonight. Even though I had been going in for years I could still never predict what I was going to see. It varied night to night, some nights worst than the rest.

My eyes closed, and I laid there with my hands clasped over my chest. I heard my clock chime midnight, and I still stayed awake. Eventually, I fell into the hell that are called dreams.

I appeared in a city, a few alleys here and there but it was never that bad. My ears perked at the sound of crashing glass.

A man walked into the alley dragging a screaming girl. He seemed unfazed, while the girl’s clothing was torn at the seams. I bit my lip, reaching for my phone. His eyes locked with mine and he looked at my hand before continuing to walk.

He knew what I looked like, he knew if someone called it would be me. His friends would follow me, just like last time. My phone started to ring and I picked it up.

“Lucian! Where the hell are you? The mother-” his voice cut off and I heard a loud bang.

“I just came back, a man in Alley 97 has a young girl, let headquarters know.” I murmured into the phone. It cut off and I sighed softly.

The city was alive with ruckus, it was difficult to tell who was asleep and who was not. Nearing two in the morning, it was most likely that all of them were asleep.

Jakob stood at the doors to the office, blood splattered all over his gray shirt. He covered it with a pullover sweatshirt but I could see it poking out in the front.

He glared when I pulled down his sweatshirt in the front. His brown eyes hard and unamused. I shrugged, unlocking the door with my ID card. We walked into the office, heading to the 13th floor.

Jakob disappeared into his office, leading me to work on the case that was on the table. I looked at the cover paper, it was messily written and looked as if someone had been in a rush. My train of thought was cut short as the phone rang.

I walked over the phone and picked up. I sighed softly as I heard screaming. My hand reached for the notepad to my right but fell as I heard the phone crackle.

“724 Emerson Street, just you.” The phone cut and I was left sitting there. My coworkers walked around me but I ignored them. I saw Jakob looking over at me from his office before he got up.

I knew what I was going to do. Heading for the weapons department would've been a dead giveaway, so I went for the protection. My coworker, Emy, stood there going through out bulletproof vests. She looked at me and sighed before going to a small trunk in the back.

Her key unlocked the trunk and multiple guns were on the verge of spilling out. Emy handed me a bulletproof vest, a taser, and a handgun. She ran a hand through her hair before speaking.

“No information again? What are you getting yourself into, mister?” Emy ruffled my hair before grabbing her running prosthetics. I laughed softly before nodding.

“Right as always, but it said just me. If this is as bad as I think it is, you can't come.” She glared at me before taking a seat at her desk. Her fingernails tapped on the desk as she sat in thought.

“I'll run the phone number, see if I can pinpoint the last location. I'll give you more information if I can find anything. Just remember, there's plenty of us stationed throughout the city.” Emy smiled before logging into her laptop.

My heart raced as I neared the location, less than 30 minutes ago I had received the call, and I didn't know if they would still be there. I turned into a small restaurant and knocked. Hearing nothing, I stepped inside.

A man sat on a stool looking at the floor. His hand was on his chin as he thought. He didn't acknowledge me, but I knew he knew I was there.

“Someone call you in, sweetheart? Well you missed most of the fun.” He looked up, steel gray eyes met mine and I forced myself to look him right back.

“Suicide and a murder? Why didn't you call in the regular police?” I murmured, looking down at the two bloodied bodies. He chuckled softly while continuing to look at me.

“I've heard that you know things, things other police can't find.” I didn't answer at first due to the fact that he seemed suspicious.

“Why should I trust you?” I knew I was cliché in asking that, but there was nothing more for me to ask. He looked away for a moment, debating on how he would answer. I waited, my arms crossed over my chest.

“You don't have a reason, other than me calling in the case. Which a criminal could do and work with the police, but I can't change your opinion on that.” Sighing, I turned and faced the door. My heart lurched as I noticed a small spot of blood right by the door handle.

Walking over, I noticed that there was a small piece of the metal sticking out. Possibly, if this was a murder, they left through the front door to look less suspicious.

I bit my lip and placed, grabbing my notebook from my back pocket.

As I was about to write down my thoughts, I woke up.