Proloque

"Alexa, come on wake up" My brother whispers in my ear as I turn over in my bed.
"Is he downstairs" I say quietly to make sure not to be heard.
"Yes, come on, quickly. If we leave for the ceremony now he won't catch us... he's passed out" I nod. I get up quickly and tiptoe into the bathroom. I brush my teeth and throw on a loose grey frock.

I try to grip my hair into a bun but my fingers keep shaking, Tobias comes over and sweeps my hair into a bun in one quick motion, securing it with pins. I slip into my grey boots and we walk out of the room without a sound.
We creep down the stairs and out of the front door leaving it ajar making sure we make no noise. Once outside I take a deep breath. I look back at our grey house. The next time I see this won't be a pleasant time.

I take a deep breath and almost run along the sidewalk to catch up with my brother. I can see it on his face he is in deep thought. As we make our way to the bus stop he takes my hand and we walk straight past it.
I don't question him, I just follow. I know he's not staying, why would he? This tortured life we live isn't even worth it just to live in the only large house in abnegation.

As we make our way to the edge of the city we begin to head into factionless territory. We walk alongside the rubble that they call a town. We stop outside of a little wooden hut and Tobias opens the door. We walk inside and I see an old lady sitting down with knitting needles made from wood. The house looks clean kept for a factionless home. Tobias sits on a chair and I do also.

"Why hello Tobias! And who is this young lady?" The woman asks.
"Hello nelly. This is my little sister, Alexa" I look to Tobias in confusion. Nelly must realise we need to talk because she stands from her rocking chair.
"I'll give you two some time alone." She says standing up. She hugs Tobias and walks out.

"That your girlfriend yeah?" I ask playfully and he laughs. The minute I leave the actual city I feel I can speak freely.
"That's nelly. You know all of the nights I was late home?" He says and I nod remembering back to all those lonely nights when my father was out.
"I came here. I assume you know I'm not staying" he says quietly and I look away.
"Yeah I guessed that."
"We both know things won't be easy for you here, and I'm sorry. But I can't stay. I want you to come here as a place of silence, a place to get away." Tobias explains.
"It's not much, but nelly is the most kind woman you'll ever meet. She'll make you herbal teas and in the winter she'll make you take lemon drops to prevent cold. She also knits the bestest warmest scarfs." He explains and my eyes well up with tears.

"Tobias.... I'm scared, I'm only 14 and Marcus will have the house to himself with me. The punishment won't be split anymore..." I begin to cry into Tobias' shoulder.
"Just two more years al, you'll make it. Then you can leave" he comforts me and we stand up and leave the cabin. We continue walking through the factionless town and we eventually reach the city Center. We walk across to the hub and I grip tobias' hand tight.

Once inside I look toward the giant staircase all the abnegation are taking.
"Tobias after Marcus' punishment last night my legs are in so much pain and the walk didn't help." I whisper. He nods and we quietly make our way to the elevator.

I step inside and Tobias follows after. We are surrounded by masses of dauntless members and I get the vibe we're not meant to be here. I play with the edge of my skirt until the elevator comes to a stop. The dauntless unload first then we walk out after. I try to walk as slowly as possible because I know I will have to say goodbye to my brother at the door and go and sit in a seat. We enter the choosing room in the hub and I look to Tobias. I just throw my arms around him.
"I love you so much Alexa, don't ever forget that" he whispers.
"I love you too"
With that he kisses my forehead and he's gone.

I walk up to the abnegation section of the room and take a seat. I watch as Johanna the amity leader makes her way out onto the stage. She welcomes everyone and talks about how the faction system is important to our survival and runs us threw what will happen during today's ceremony.
I zone out, all I can think about is what my punishment will be today. It's going to be big. When he realizes Tobias has left he will be furious. I play out every possible scenario in my head, to prepare myself.

"Tobias Eaton" I'm snapped out of my daze by my brothers thin figure making his way up to the stage. Johanna hands him a knife. He slits his palm from top to bottom letting the crimson blood fill his hand. He brings his hand over the hot coals and a second later I hear a sizzle from the bowl.

"Dauntless"

All of the dauntless crowd holler and cheer, everyone in abnegation is being silent, some shake there heads. Unlike me, I am clapping with a light smile on my face.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I near my abnegation house, alone this time. I walk up the walkway reluctantly opening the front door. I walk into the living room. Marcus stands there with a belt and a bottle of beer. He looks behind me.
"Where's Tobias?" He slurs.
"He left" I say quietly. Marcus takes a step closer to me.
"Just you and me then." He says evily and my stomach drops as he whips the belt right across my tear stained cheek.