CHAPTER 1 - flying the nest

"Alexa Eaton" a voice comes over the intercom of the cafeteria. I take a deep breath and looks across to Daniella.
"Good luck" She says tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear.
Daniella is an abnegation girl, I wouldn't call her a friend, but she is bearable.
"Thanks" I say standing from my seat making my way into my testing room. A dauntless boy stands before me, He is probably 18 or 19. He has dark clear skin with chocolatey brown eyes.
"Hi my names Zeke, I'll be administering your test today" He says in an upbeat tone, he must have a lot of energy.

The room is small and square, the room covered in mirrors. Most people being abnegation would be staring at their reflections right now, but I'm not really pushed about it. there is a recliner chair in the middle of the room, it looks like a dentists office. Zeke gestures for me to sit in the chair, so I do.
He attaches a few wires to my forehead and types a few things into the computer.  He hands me a vile of blue thin liquid.
"Drink this, oh and stiff?" "Yeah?" I answer holding the vile in my fingers.
"Act how you would not how you are expected to act" with that I swallow the liquid and my eyes close involuntarily

I open my eyes and I am in the testing room except Zeke isn't here. I look at my reflection and see that it moves when I don't. I reach my hand for the mirror and I get pulled through.
I turn around and see two pillars, one with cheese and one with a knife.
"Choose" a voice echoes through the large room.
I don't hesitate to pick up the knife, what good would cheese do me?
I'm glad for my decision when a vicious dog appears in front of me saliva dangling from its sharp teeth. The dog makes a run for me and all I do is kneel down and hold the knife out. I turn away as I hear the dog whimper as the knife sticks through its torso.

I look up and magically I am on the school bus. I am sitting alone when a dauntless man walks up beside me frantically and holds up a wanted poster. It has a face that is familiar on it. "Do you know this woman?" He asks and I hesitate. "If you do it could save me" he states. I would never rat anyone out. "No sorry I have never seen them before" the man crumbles up the photo of Daniella.

I am out on the streets of the city in the moonlight.I walk along the sidewalk before a faction less man comes up beside me. "Do you have any food M'am?" He begs and I shake my head. "You do! Your lying" He says grabbing my arm. "I said I don't!" With that I punch the man across the jaw.

I open my eyes groggily and I am back in the testing room with zeke. I take a deep breath and see that he is given me a full teeth smile.
"What was my result?" I ask and he laughs. "What do you think it was?" He fires back.
"Tell me it wasn't abnegation" I say and he just laughs louder.
"Far from it my dear. You got dauntless, hope to see you around soon" he says as I'm rising from my chair. I just smile widely, I can't help it.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I open my eyes and roll over in my bed which was a bad idea considering I'm now lying on my back which is covered in peeled flesh from last nights 'lesson'
Nonetheless I stand from my bed and head over to my closet. I pick out a loose grey jumper and a knee length fabric skirt. I slip into some silver boots and try to tie my hair up into a tight bun.
I sneak down the stairs and out of the front door. I begin to make my way down the driveway and along the sidewalk to the bus stop, I pass it. I remember back to this day two years ago, I did the same thing. I walk up through the factionless sector and stop outside the shack that has become my second home.

I knock on the door and when it is opened I am met with Nelly's kind eyes.
"Oh hello Alexa! How are you?" She says inviting me in.
"Actually nelly I'm in a rush, it's my choosing ceremony today" I start and a small smile appears on her face.
"Finally the day has come where you can leave this terrible live behind. I'm so proud of the woman your becoming. You choose wherever you feel is right just as long as you know it's not abnegation" she states and I smile.
"Nelly you are the closest thing I've had to a parent for the last two years, I'll never be able to tell you how much that means to me, I'll come visit okay?" I look at her and she nods. "Make sure to bring Tobias along" she says and my shoulders stiffen at the name I haven't heard in two years. My brother, the boy who said he loved me, the boy who didn't bother coming to visit me or try to contact me for two years.
"I'll never forget you nelly" I say hugging her. "See you soon Alexa, choose wisely"

I begin my walk through the factionless sector. I see children playing with a tattered football. It's so disgusting how they just isolate these people because they don't fit the mold.
After a few short minutes I arrive at the edge of the factionless sector and am in the city again. It's crazy how it goes from shacks to skyscrapers just like that. I turn a few corners and I'm outside the hub. I expect Marcus is already inside, preparing for his speech.

I walk through the doors and make my way to the staircase. With every step I take my legs burn, the bruises that cover them begging me to take the elevator. I know I shouldn't but I quickly turn and stand into the elevator with all the dauntless crowding inside. The doors shut and I look at my feet, I look so out of place.
Someone hits floor 50 and it shoots up. The doors open and all the dauntless file out quickly.
I walk slowly out and through the double doors that lead to the choosing room.

The half circle shaped room has high walls and bright white lights. There is a sea of colors, like an artists easel. Blue and grey and red and yellow and white and black.
The factions are seated separately all facing the Centre of the room where the bowls sit.
Each bowl is full of items to resemble each faction. Shattered Glass for candor, soil for amity, water for erudite, coals for dauntless and grey pebbles for abnegation.

I take a seat at the front of the room where all the 16 years old gather. I look behind me and see anxious families staring at there children, in hopes they will stay. Because if they don't stay chances are their family will cut them out entirely, Faction before blood. That won't be a problem for me.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Welcome to our ceremony here today, this is the most important day of your children's lives, our dependents will become our independents, full faction members" Marcus smiles with an all too false enthusiasm. It must be believable to others who don't know what he's like as no one has ever questioned him, or they just don't care.
"We are going to kick off the ceremony, once your name is called please make your way to the stage and I will pass you the blade. You simply make a small slit in your palm, nothing too deep, and drop your blood into the bowl of the faction you feel you belong in. Good luck to everyone and remember Faction before blood"

"Faction before blood" the whole room erupts whether it be the faint whispers from abnegation, the loud screams from the dauntless, the giggly response of the amity's or the clearly agreeing tone of the candor they all say it with pride. As if cutting your family out is something to be proud of.

"Abigail quinton"

A short ginger girl stands from her seat and rubs out the crinkles in her blue blouse. She carefully makes her way up the the bowls taking the knife and quickly drops her blood into the erudite bowl.

"Erudite"

"Adam Cunningham"

A dauntless boy giddily makes his way to the stage and cuts his hand leaving his blood fall into the dauntless bowl.

"Dauntless"

Loads of people have chosen and no one has chosen to leave yet. We are almost at the end of the a's when my name is called.

"Alexa Eaton" Marcus almost spits the words like they are burning fire that has caught his tongue.
I stand up quickly and take long strides to where he stands. I take the knife from his hands and look him dead in the eyes. He gives a warm smile which I know is not sincere. I don't bother to return it. I slit my palm, deeper than I meant to and the blood is bright red and fast flowing. Without a second thought I lift my hand over the coals and let my blood sizzle.

"Dauntless" the bitterness in his voice is like a symphony. I cannot believe it. I'm free, I'm finally free.