CHAPTER 24 - luckiest man alive

"As you are all aware today is Thursday, training finishes tomorrow, your final test will be Saturday morning." Eric's voice fills the dining hall as I chew on my hamburger. Hamburgers taste so good, I had never had one until I transferred, they are so juicy and chewy and flavorful.

"So that means most of you have 4 more fears to face, some have 3 but there is one person who has only one fear left to face." I shut my eyes with embarrassment when I realize it's me he's talking about.
"I would like to personally congratulate Alex for having 5 fears. Only one Dauntless member has less fears than you, well done your one of the bravest" the whole hall erupts in applause and I can't help the small smile that appears on my face.

"Well done al! I knew you were special from the first time I saw you on the train!" Adams voice knocks me out of my bubble of awe. The hall quiets down and I turn back to my friends.
"Where'd you get to at lunch yesterday? I didn't see you" Harry begins to speak and I try my best to keep calm.
"I ate lunch with Eric, I wasn't feeling so good and he insisted on taking care of me"
"I'm sure he did"
"Harry can I speak to you alone please?"
"Yeah no problem" I stand quickly from my seat avoiding eye contact with all of my friends because I know the look they would all portray. Confusion. 

I arrive outside in a dark hallway I look around to make sure it's empty. I hear Harry's footsteps echo behind my and I turn to face him.
"What did you want to talk about?" He wears a small smile which fades once he sees the stern look on my face.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Tell you what?"
"Don't play dumb with me harry!" I shout and he puts his two hands on my shoulders in attempt to calm me.
"Keep it down would you" He whispers before sighing deeply.
"Is it true?" I can't even bring myself to look at him.
"Alex-"
"Is it true?" I repeat my question as my eyes dart up to look into his.
"Yes"
I scoff in disbelief before turning swiftly on my heels.
"Alex come back! Please" tears begin to well up in my eyes.
"For all I care right now, you and Tobias can go and rot in hell." A single tear slips down my face as I continue walking away from Harry. I know what I've said is wrong but I keep walking.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I hold the muffin tightly in my hand as I walk out of the dining hall. I know what fear is coming today.
I decided not to grab breakfast with the others this morning, I took a well needed hot shower. I chomp away as I make my walk to the waiting room.

When I arrive I see all of my friends sitting down in the far corner. Tobias' eyes look up at my as I go past him.
"Morning al" jack chimes brightly as I take a seat.
"Morning" my voice isn't as chirpy as jacks, I'm nervous for what lies ahead once I walk inside that glass room.
"Why didn't you come down for breakfast?"
"I just needed a break to prepare myself, you know, last fear being the worst and all."

I see a silhouette out of the side of my eye. I turn around and there stands harry not looking directly at me.
"Your up" He says quietly before walking away quickly. I stand from my seat slowly and with every step I take I get more nervous. I push the door and walk inside the testing room, and then I see him. All my fear and anxiousness subsides when his eyes meet mine. He doesn't say anything just comes closer to me. He hugs me tightly before ushering me to the chair.

Since that night on the train all he's done is hug me, it makes me question why he won't kiss me again. Does he even like me like that anymore? Does he just want to be friends? He confuses me. I decide not to let it bother me
"Good morning"
"Morning" I reply sitting in the cold leather recliner, my sweaty palms tightening around the arm wrests. He looks up to me and must see how worried I am.
"I have a surprise planned for you, for after I'm done testing initiates." He doesn't ask me if I'm fine or nervous, because he knows the answer.  I smile nervously at him, before he holds the needle up to my neck.
"You'll be fine. Your brave" He steadies one hand against my neck as he pushes the needle through my skin.

-~-
My eyes open and I'm in the upstairs hallway of my abnegation house. I hear the latch on the front door and loud footsteps.
"Alexa!" A voice slurs from downstairs and I shiver. I hear thumping as he stomps up the stairs in a drunkenly manner. With every step he takes my heart beats faster, and faster and faster. Eventually I see him, standing feet away from me a smug look on his faces.
"Why didn't you come downstairs when I called you!" He almost screams, his breath stinking of beer. I don't answer and he steps closer.

"That's it you little bitch, turn around!" He shouts in rage as he pulls his belt off holding the leather in his hands. Something clicks in my head.
"No"
"Excuse me?" Disbelief enters his voice as I take a step closer to him.
"You can't hurt me anymore, never again." A small smile appears on my face. He goes to strike me with the belt but I catch it in my hand, yanking it causing him to fall to the ground.
"Who's helpless now?"

-~-

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I wait here in the training room for Eric, he's late.
"Alex!" I hear his voice and I see him outside the door. I smile brightly and walk out to meet him.
"Hey"
"Hi" I feel my face heat up, one damn word and he makes me blush.
"Follow me" he takes my hand and I follow him. We get into an elevator and he pulls out a blindfolds.
"Here put this on" He ties it around my eyes and I sigh, I hate surprises.
I hear the doors opening and a gust of wind hits me. We walk outside and I feel Eric behind me.
"You can take it off now"

I untie the blindfold and I'm in awe. It's the rooftop. There is a picnic blanket on the floor and a beautiful sunset.
"Wow" is all I manage, no one has ever done anything this sweet for me. I follow him over as he sits down. He pulls out two plates with cake on them.
"I assume you already had dinner so here's dessert" he's right, I had dinner with my friends. I can't help but smile as he passes me the plate of chocolatey goodness.

After a while, I've finished my cake. We are standing looking over the wall. We've talked about sunsets, the city, books he liked to read in erudite, how initiation is going but we still haven't talked about the kiss we shared that night on the train. At this point the sun has began to set and its getting a bit chilly. It must be quiet noticeable that I'm cold as Eric pulls off his jacket and passes it to me.
"Hey Eric?"
"Yeah?"
"Thank you so much, for everything, the meal, the chat, the thought, your jacket" we both laugh a bit.
"But I want to ask you something"
"Go for it"
"It's been two days, and we haven't even talked about that train ride." He looks deeply into my eyes, as if trying to read my emotions.
"What about it?"
"It's just, did you mean what you said, what you did?"
"Of course I did, it's just I was thinking the same for you, I didn't know if you wanted me to kiss you again" his words melt my heart.
"Of course I do, I mean, wow I must sound really full on right now, I'm sorry I-" he cuts me off with his lips. He puts his arms around my waist and I wrest mine around his neck. He pulls my body to him and I let out a light moan as he deepens the kiss.

"Of course I wanted to kiss you again Alexa" he rests his forehead against mine as he gasps for breath.
"I thought you didn't want anymore to do with me I guess"
"Are you crazy? I feel like the luckiest man alive" I grin heavily, my smile lines showing prominently.
"Listen, there's something I want to talk to you about too" he breaks the silence and I stare deeply into his eyes.
"Just one more kiss first" I tighten my grip around his neck again as he smirks.
I kiss him again, this time more aggressive. I bite his bottom lip causing him to moan this time.

"What the fuck is going on here?" I hear my brothers angry voice behind me.