CHAPTER 13 - the chasm

My eyes shoot open and once more I'm in the testing room.
"It's okay, your okay" Eric's voice has an instant calming affect on my rapid breathing.
"11 minutes this time, but then again the fear was worse" his words calm me with every one that comes out.
"Training at 6?" I ask trying to get my breath back.
"Yeah see you then" he offers me a hand out of the chair. I open the door and weakly walk out down through the waiting room.
Eric wasn't wrong when he said that fear was worse than my first.

-~-
I wake up and I'm in the pit. I look around and see that it is particularly quite today. I am strolling around when I see a crowd in the distance. I run over to them and see that they are gathered around the chasm.
"Someone jumped"
"I wonder who it is"
"I heard they got pushed"
"Well I heard they jumped themselves"
Voices flood the group as I push my way up to the front. They are pulling on a rope which I'm guessing is attached to the body. I see the body come up over the side and I freeze.

"Tobias!" I scream. I run over to his body lifeless on the floor. His eyes are dark empty pools and his face has paled.
"Tobias!" I scream again this time it comes out more muffled. I shake his body vigorously. He just stays still.
"Wake up, wake up, wake up you can't leave me. Please, please, please" I shout loudly.
"He's gone lady, I'm sorry we need to take his body away" they start to drag his body away and my feet are cemented to the floor as I stand in silence.
-~-

I arrive at the dining hall, looking around for a seat. My friends are still in the waiting room, not ready for whatever horrors await them today.
In the corner of my eye I see Tobias. He is slowly making his way towards me but I have never been so happy to see him in my life. I run towards him and wrap my arms tightly around his waist.
"I love you" I say quickly and he stifles a laugh.
"Hello to you too" he jokes.
"To what do I owe this lovely greeting"
"An awful fear from today" I look at my feet.
"Wanna talk about it?" He asks and I shake my head.
"Where are your friends?" He changes the subject, I'm grateful.
"Still waiting for their turns" I reply and he nods.
"Come with me then" he walks out of the hall and I follow him up 5 flights of stairs. We walk along the corridor and stop. Tobias pulls out a set of keys and unlocks the door to his apartment.

When I walk in I see a cozy living room, small kitchen and a bed area at the back. Nowhere near as big as Eric's but it's nice.
"Its small but it works well for me" he smiles sitting down on the sofa.
"So no special lady in your life then?" I frown as he shakes his head.
"Other than you?"
"Ha ha very funny"
Tobias looks from my face down to my neck. His eyes widen and he smiles.
"A new tattoo!"

He stands from his seat and comes over to me studying my neck to my arm.
"It's amazing, when did you get this?" He raises an eyebrow.
"Yesterday"
"I thought you had training?"
"After training" I lie and his smile falters slightly.
"This tattoo must have taken a long time, there's no way you had time for training and this"
Shit.
"I did" I lie again, I'm lucky I'm not candor.
"Don't lie to me. I had a small word with Mark"
Fuck.

"Oh" is all I manage.
"Would you like to tell me about why you and Eric went to the tattoo parlor last night instead of training?" He sounds slightly angry.
"He said it was something about pain control" this time I'm telling the truth.
"Bullshit!"
"It's not!" I shout back.
"I don't want you training with him anymore" his voice is serious and steady.
"You can't stop me"
"What's gotten into you? He's bad news. You know it too you just choose not to admit it"
"He has done nothing but help me since I've got here! He's helping me train, he listened to me about Marcus, he helped me get rid of Marcus! What've you done? Nothing" I shout and my eyes widen in realization of what I've said.

"You told him about Marcus? You said you didn't. You lied" His voice is quiet and I don't like it.
"So what if I did?" I fire back.
"That is a private matter, it involves me to so I should have a say in who knows about it and it certainly shouldn't be that bastard!"
"Well it's my past too Tobias. I told Eric, yes I did. And you know what I don't regret it for one second because getting it off my chest was the best thing I ever fucking did. He's been nothing but a decent guy and your being a prick. Maybe your more like Marcus than I thought" I speak steadily, danger in my voice.

Without another word I stand up and go to the door.
"Alex stop, where are you going" this time he speaks softly, like he did when I was little.
"I'm going to wait for my friends in the dorm. At least they won't greet me with an argument" with that I slam the door shut and walk- more like run down the hallway.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"How was your fears today guys?" We Have all been gathered around on my bed for hours now but no one was brave enough to speak the obvious question.
"Awful" Jane replies with a slight shiver.
"I was glued to the floor while a bunch of rapid dogs attacked me till I died" Adams voice cracks when he speaks, a clear sign that he's traumatized from it.
"I got eaten alive by midgets and maggots" Jane seems less phased then Adam, but still is a bit pale from the experience.
"I had to shoot my own mother" Harry's eyes appear slightly glassy from the tears he most likely shed after that.
"Mine was kind of similar to Adam and Janes, I was strangled by a snake" Danny shudders at the thought of it.
"I don't really want to talk about it" Jack looks at his feet. Jacks usually the loud mouth so considering he doesn't want to talk about it it must have been horrific.
"What about you Alex?"
"My brother died" I don't bother giving the gory details of it. Everyone sits in silence.

"We look a mess" I try to lighten the mood but everything I'm saying is true.
I look around and see we all have dark bags under our eyes. We all look like we haven't slept in years.
"Alex it's 5 minutes to 6 you better get going" Harry checks his watch.
"Yeah wouldn't want to keep lover boy waiting" Jane smiles cheekily before I give her a glare.
"See you guys later" I stroll out of the hall and make my way towards the training room.
On my travels I spot Eric in the hallways.
I walk up to him and tap him on the shoulder.

"Hey you ready?"
"Stiff after lesson training is over. You are no longer required to attend. You are dismissed" his voice is cold and harsh.
"Eric what on earth? Why?" My brows are furrowed but he just rolls his eyes.
"Stay out of my way initiate" he walks straight past me and I hear his loud footsteps fade down the corridor.