CHAPTER 26 - past present future

It's been 10 minutes, I haven't said a word. I don't know what to say, is there any right response.
"Alex?" His voice isn't demanding an answer, just purely awaiting my choice of action.

I don't understand, how can these people be divergent. I've known my brother all my life and Eric is now a big role in mine. I can't get my head around why they are dangerous. I was reluctant to the idea that they aren't all that bad, but Eric told me otherwise, I trust him. My brother, best friend, and Eric, they can't be dangerous, I won't believe it.

"You remember the other night on the train" I turn to face him once again and he nods.
"You said even if I was divergent, it wouldn't change how you felt"
"But your not divergent" He seems embarrassed of the word.
"No, but same rules apply, I like you because of who you are, not what faction you fit into." He lets out a big sigh of relief.
"You are truly the most amazing person I've ever met" I smile at his comment as my hands make there way through his hair in a calming motion. I pull his face to mine and kiss him despite his divergence, it doesn't change him. Eventually he pulls away, leaving me wanting more.

"We should head down to the hall, rankings will be up soon"
"I guess so" I'm suddenly nervous for the rankings again.
"But hey, there's a party afterwards" I've never really been to a party, it sounds sad but abnegation don't really celebrate. Birthdays weren't really a big deal around there, no cake, no banners, no songs. You'd get to look in the mirror for 10 minutes, that was it. We definitely never had celebrations for things as small as this.

I stand up and so does Eric, as I make my way to the door Eric blocks my path. He wraps his arms around me, engulfing me in his embrace.
"You are the first person I ever told, ever. I don't have an extreme case like some people, just erudite and dauntless." He explains and my fingers trace the patterns on his tattooed neck.
"2 whole years of not telling anyone? Eric that's awful, how did you cope?" He swallows roughly letting out a somewhat nervous laugh.
"I had no choice, you know how erudite is and if I told someone I could be dead right now. So I kept quiet" I feel bad for him, I couldn't imagine not telling someone about something of that stress, but then again Tobias is the only one who knew about Marcus for years.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

My stomach is twisting as I chew on my chicken wing, licking the juicy barbecue sauce off my fingers. I never thought I'd be hungry at a time like this.
"How can you even eat? I'm so nervous!" The only thing janes chewing is her fingernails in a nervous fashion.
"I'm just hungry that's all" truth is I hadn't eaten since breakfast, when I was at Eric's lunch was the last thing on my mind.

I look around the table and don't see Harry anywhere. I actually wanted to talk to him about everything. I check my watch and see I have 30 minutes to kill before rankings. I stand from the chair and look around the table.
"I'll be back in a minute guys" they send a few nods my way. As I'm walking out of the dining hall and through the pit I get a bad feeling in my stomach. I don't see him anywhere. Eventually I spot him, my body goes into full sprint towards the chasm.

"Harry, don't you dare!" His head shoots around as his feet dangle over the edge.
"Why not Alex? Why shouldn't I?" My breaths become deeper as I fear for my friends life. "Because Harry truth is no matter what you are labelled you are still Harry. There is nothing you can say or do to convince me otherwise. The other day I was wrong, worried, I didn't understand, but now I do. Your not alone. Now stand away from the edge and come to the hall so we can get our rankings. Then we can get piss drunk at our party. Just take my hand" I reach my hand towards him. He takes a second to respond and I prepare for the worst. Then I feel his fingers grasp mine. I pull him off the chasm bridge and into a tight hug.
"You mean it?"
"Of course I mean it, your the same as everyone else" he smiles brightly at me and I'm so grateful to have my friend back.
"Let's go get our rankings"

We stride back to the hall leaving the events of the last few minutes in the past. When we get back to our seats our friends don't question where we've been, thankfully.

"May I have your attention" Max's voice calms the loud chatter to a quiet hum throughout the hall.
"As you all know initiation has come to an end for the year. Initiates please stand as we reveal your rankings." I gulp as we all stand from our seats awaiting what we have been working for for the past weeks. A giant board lights up and the number one shows brightly in the center of it.
"First place- Alexa Eaton" my ears soon ache from the hollering and cheering, the chanting of my name feeling so surreal. My skin aches red from slaps on the back and friendly punches on the arm. Despite all this pain i manage the large smile on my face. I look up at the leaders and see Eric smiling down at me, he gives a wink that goes unnoticed by everyone but I noticed it. I take a deep breath, close my eyes and take it all in.

I did it, I proved Marcus wrong. I can be strong and I am not a helpless little girl anymore.