CHAPTER 30 - warrior

"Earth to al" Adams voice rings in my ear as I stir my cereal. My attention is captured and my eyes shoot up to meet his.
"You okay?" No, I'm not okay. Everyone around here just seems to move on from death after a few days, he died yesterday.

"I'm fine" and as my words come out the buzz of the dining hall fills my ears once agin as I'm back to reality.
"How's Eric?" Jane starts to question me on Eric and I see Adam tense up a bit.
"Um he's good I guess" I don't really know what else to say. Out of nowhere I see Janes smile widen so much her teeth might crack.

"Is this seat taken?" I here Eric's voice say from behind me and a small smile spreads across my face.
"It's very much so free" Jane answers before I can and gestures for him to sit down. I feel the warmth of his legs against mine.
"So how's things?" Jane tries not to sound to excited but fails miserably. Eric smirks and shrugs his shoulders.
"Good I guess" I laugh lightly at his awkwardness.
"The boys and I have to go I'll see you later guys" Adam abruptly stands from his seat followed by the two boys in a more gentle motion.

"Jane would it be alright if I stole her from you for a bit?" My heart drops as he asks my friend permission for whatever he's planning.
"Of course! I'll run after the boys. Have fun you two!" Jane sprints out of the hall and I turn to Eric with a confused expression playing on my face. Without another second Eric takes my hand, pulling me to my feet.
"What on earth are you doing?"
"You'll see"
"What is it with you and surprises?" I huff as he doesn't say another word just pulls me by the hand out of the hall.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"How much longer?" I sigh over the sound of the tracks clicking as the train heads away from the city.
"We're just ready to jump" Eric offers me his hand and we leap from the train onto the marshy grass.
"Care to tell me why we are in the outer city?" I see him smile lightly as we make our way up the stairs of an abandoned house.

"This is where I realized I had feelings for you, the night of capture the flag. When I looked into your eyes after you won that game I just.. fell"
"So your after a winner is that it?" I fire back.
"No" he nears me and cups my cheek.
"I'm after a warrior" my chest heats up as his lips meet mine.
"You are the most amazing person I know, you know that right?" I say as I lay my forehead against his.

We stand here in silence, the cold breeze whistling throw the cracks in the wall. The chirp of crickets fills the air and the silence of the night takes over the scene. I look up into Eric's eyes.
"I know we haven't known you for that long. But Alex I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me" I sense the nervousness in his voice.
At this moment nothing else seems to matter. I don't think about Harry, I don't think about Marcus, I don't think about my friends. All that matters is the man that stands in-front of me.
"Of course I will" I lace my hands around his neck and pull him against me.

"We stand here, the draft drifting through the cracks of these ruins. The warmth of Eric's arms around my waist is giving my body a buzz of heat.
"We should probably get back" his whispers bring me back to reality as I sigh deeply. I wished just for a moment, that this was all there was to life. Me and him. No worries about my brother being endangered as well as Eric. No mourning of my best friend. No memories of my past. Just a world without anything. 

"What's wrong?" It's almost as if he reads my thoughts when he takes my hand in his.
"It's just, I'm scared- terrified actually- that I'm going to wake up one day to either your's or four's body at the bottom of the chasm. I don't know what I'd do"
"How many times do I have to tell you that we aren't going anywhere"
"Well how can you be sure?" Silence.
"I can't if I'm being honest. But we have to have hope Alex."
"How are you so strong. It's almost as if the thought of being dead doesn't phase you" I voice my thoughts without thinking.
"I am terrified of the thought. But I try not to think about it."
"We really should be getting back" I bring our conversation back to the topic before it all got too real.

My hand still laced in Eric's, we make our way back to the train quickly. Once inside I sit at the doorway, my feet hanging out the door catching the cold evening wind.
"Why did you chose to come here?" My brows furrow at the spontaneous question.
"Chose to go where?"
"Dauntless. Why'd you pick it?" Eric is standing opposite me in the doorway, looking down at me with his icy eyes.

"It's stupid-" I brush his question off with a giggle but am slowly reverted with a shake of the head.
"Nothing you say could ever be stupid. Out with it"
"Well I didn't have the best abnegation life, as you know. Obviously I had to get out of there, but that's not why I chose dauntless. I wanted to be brave, fearless, indestructible. I think I've realized that that's not what being Dauntless is about." Eric's eyes look deeper into my soul.
"What's it about then?"
"Being fearless is impossible, everyone is scared of something, we always will be. It's how we deal with what scares us most is what makes us Dauntless"