CHAPTER 2 - familiar faces

We Burst through the doors running down the steps to the pavement outside the hub. We sprint so fast down the street that my legs are aching but I don't stop.
We dash through the city and stop at the tracks. Everyone around me begins to climb the metal rungs suspending the tracks mid air. Without a second thought I put my hands on the cold metal and start climbing. I Throw my leg onto the top of the platform and swing myself up. I quickly make it to my feet as the train flies past.
All the dauntless born begin to run so the transfers follow. We sprint alongside the car before a boy in black jumps on the side and opens the door. Everyone starts to file in after that.
I leap inside the train car and lay my back against the metal wall breathlessly. I let my aching body fall to the floor.

I made it, finally I made it. I've dreamt of this day my whole life, the day I could escape. I can't help the small smile that is spread across my face.

"What on earth could you possibly be happy about after that" a young dauntless boy says sitting beside me catching his breath. I soon recognize him as the boy who chose not long before me. Adam I think.
"I guess I just can't believe this day is finally here" I say my smile growing wider at the thought.
"Your nuts, my names Adam" He says extending his hand. "Alexa"
"So you know much about dauntless initiation?" He asks staring at me with green eyes.
"Not one thing"
"Your in for a real treat then. It's hell" he laughs and I just laugh too.

We chat for a while him telling me how he has two sisters called Mia and Katy. His mother works at the fence and his dad is a tattoo artist.
"So are you going to tell me a bit about yourself?" He asks and my heart skips a beat.
"Not much to know, my only sibling transferred a few years ago, my mom died when I was 4 and I don't get on with my dad"
"Oh I'm sorry-" He starts but I stop him.
"It's fine don't worry about it" he just smiles a full tooth smile.
"What?" I ask and his smile only grows.
"We're jumping"
"What" I look behind to where Adams eyes were staring and see people leaping from the train car onto a rooftop. I peer through the door and see we are at least 50 floors up, if not a lot more.
"Get ready" He says standing up stretching his legs. I stand also, cleaning the dirt off of my grey tights and dress.

Without warning Adam jumps and lands on the rooftop. I take three steps back and run springing off the edge of the train. I fly over the gap and land on the gravel of the rooftop. The sting of the impact is nothing compared to the adrenaline that has taken over my body. I let out a light laugh and see Adam staring.
"Ok I take it back your not nuts your just a masochist" he offers me a hand up.

"Everyone gather around" a loud voice booms across the roof. Everyone looks up and sees a man standing on the wall at the edge. We all crowd around him and he looks around the group.
There are 3 erudite transfers, 4 candor, 2 amity, and 1 abnegation. There are 19 dauntless borns.
"My name is Max, I'm your head leader here at Dauntless. If you want to enter dauntless there is only one way from here- you jump" He says gesturing to the wall he is standing on.

"Who's up? Transfers first"

Silence.

I take a deep breath and walk up to the wall.
"An abnegation- how strange." Max looks at me wide eyed.
I stand up into the roof and look down. The drop leads to an unseeable bottom. I take a deep breath and put one foot forward then the second as I plummet to what very well could be my death.

Bang

I bounce of a net that springs me up a few feet's before letting me drop again. This continues for a few seconds before a tattooed pair of arms reach over me. I grab in and they yank me from the net. I am face to face with their owner.
He is tall and pale tattoos cover his neck and arms. His hair is brown with not one single strand out of place.
His grey eyes look into mine. They look icy, empty.

"Did they push you stiff?" His cold voice gives me shivers.
"No" I answer shortly.
"What's your name?" He asks and I take a deep breath.
"Name? Is it a hard one?" His annoyed tone snaps me back to reality.
"Alex" I say and he nods.
"First jumper Alex!" He shouts and cheers come from around me. A dauntless lady ushers me to stand against the wall and I do.

Alex. That's my name. Even the difference of one letter gives me a whole new identity. I can be whoever I want.
I don't have to be the girl I was back in abnegation I can be someone else. Someone who is strong and brave and fierce.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

Everyone has jumped at this point, all 29 of us.
Eric helps Max off of the net as he is the last to come down from the roof. He stands fixing his shirt. Both of them face us in the line we have gathered into.

"Hello initiates, as you already know I'm max and this is Eric, two leaders here at Dauntless. Eric will be overseeing your training this year and it seems that your trainers are running late so we will meet them on your short tour. Dauntless borns follow me as I assume you don't need a tour you will meet with your trainer tori tomorrow and transfers follow Eric for your tour, Four will be with you shortly. That's all for now" He says as the dauntless borns file out of the room and down a corridor.

Eric huffs as he turns on his heels gesturing for us to follow him down a dimly lit hallway. We do so and I get lost in my thoughts. I wonder what our training consists of, will I end up dead by the end of this. It's only the first day and they have us jumping off buildings and onto moving trains. Who's four anyways? Seems very mysterious.
The small group comes to a sudden stop causing me to hit into the back of an erudite guy.
"Sorry" I mumble under my breath and the boy just takes a step back to stand beside me.
"Don't worry about it, I'm harry" he offers a small smile which I barely return by tilting my lips up. "I'm Alex" I shortly say before Eric calls our attention.

"This is the chasm" his feet walk out onto a small bridge like structure with a fencing on only one side, leaving the other side open to whatever is below. As everyone slowly starts to fill the bridge I look over the edge gulping at the sight. It's a really big drop before some large sharp rocks and a river.
"The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between being brave and being a fool- don't be a fool. Jumping is cowardly" Eric says not looking at us as he continues to walk at the other side. My eyes widen. Why would someone jump? Is the training really that bad?
I look over to harry who shares the same expression as me.

We stop again as I see a large room with super high walls. There is loads of bars and shops and seating areas.
"This is the pit- the Centre of life here in Dauntless. This contains our bars, gyms, salons, shops etc." he gestures around.
"Follow me and I'll show you your sleeping quarters- oh here's four" Eric says as I see an all too familiar face appear beside Eric. My face drops and I take a deep breath. All the anger from the past couple of years bottles up inside of me as I see my brother standing in front of us. I just push my way up to the front of the crowd not knowing what is coming over me. I look Tobias dead in the eyes. His eyes widen when he sees me and I just pull back my fist and connect it with his jaw with all the power I've got.

"You bastard"