Chapter 15: Meena Returns

Buster grabbed an extension cord and went out the window of his office. He started walking on the ledge until a piece of the wall fell to the concrete.

"Whoa! Sorry, old girl. I'll fix that," Buster promised.

As soon as he jumped to get to the other ledge, he got caught and fell. The extension cord wrapped around his ankle and he stopped right in front of Meena, who was on her way to see Buster in the first place. She held a cake and looked at him as he struggled to get free.

"Mr. Moon? You probably don't remember me, but I auditioned yesterday, and I--" she began.

"Hey, listen. Do you think maybe you could reach the ledge?" Buster requested.

"That ledge?" she asked, pointing to the one he was talking about.

She lifted him up there with her trunk.

"Whoa! Whoa, that's a heck of a trunk you've got there. Thanks a lot, kid," Buster waved and went to plug the extension cord.

"Uh, Mr. Moon? My name is Meena, and I baked a cake for you, and, uh, I was wondering if you'd maybe give me a second chance to--" Meena started reading the writing on her hand.

"Just a moment, please. Be right with you," he said.

He unplugged the "O" on that ledge and tried to plug the extension cord to the main cord. But it wasn't long enough. He kept trying until he yanked it, which squished Miss Crawly against her desk while she was eating a sandwich. Johnny and Jamie were too busy practicing to notice. Then the lights came on and the others cheered.

"Johnny...Jamie..." Miss Crawly said.

Then Buster brought Meena backstage.

"Yep, mind your head here. Hey, can you pull up that scenic cable?" Buster asked.

"You mean this?" Meena wondered.

"Yes, that's it," Buster answered.

She pulled it and the scenery lifted in the air to show a castle background.

"Great! And the house lights?" Buster added.

Meena turned them on and the whole auditorium lit up. They both walked on the stage.

"Wow," she gasped.

"Ah, I know. Beautiful, isn't she?" Buster said then offered, "You know what, kid? How would you like to be a part of this show?"

"Really? Wait. Oh, my gosh, I was just gonna ask about that," Meena replied excitedly.

"Great. 'Cause I could really use a stagehand," Buster remarked.

Meena's face fell a little as she answered, "Stagehand? But--"

"Ah, don't worry about it. You're gonna pick it up in no time. I'll teach you everything I know. Follow me," Buster assured.

He brought her backstage again to show her around.

"These are the rehearsal spaces and dressing rooms, and up here we got workshops and the main office," Buster explained.

She looked to see the other contestants practicing.

"Awesome," she mumbled.

"'Awesome'? Yeah, I think the word  you're after is 'awful.' And that's me restraining myself. There's not an ounce of talent between 'em. Not an ounce. In fact, you know what? I think that prize is as good as mine already," Mike replied cockily.

Meena didn't know what to do. She was a part of the show, just not the way she wanted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So Meena is back; she's just not singing (yet anyway). I hope y'all are enjoying it so far.