Chapter 41: "I'm Still Standing"

Norman and the piglets went back to their seats as Johnny sat on the stool and faced the piano. He looked at the others to see Miss Crawly give him a thumbs up while Jamie winked at him. He smiled as he closed his eyes then played one note, getting the audience's attention. Then he went all out as he started playing and singing "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John.

"You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
And there's a cold lonely light that shines from you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

And did you think this fool could never win
Well, look at me, I'm a-coming back again
I got a taste of love in a simple way
And if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away"

As he sang, the prisoners were tapping their feet to the music while Big Daddy held his head in his hand.

"What is that? Turn it down, will you?" he requested.

They didn't hear him, so he got up.

"Oi, didn't you hear me? I said turn it--" he started, then saw who was singing, and wondered, "Johnny?"

"Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid"

"Johnny. It's Johnny! That's my son!" Big Daddy exclaimed proudly.

"And I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind"

As Johnny continued to sing, Big Daddy had a look of realization on his face.

"My son. Jamie was right," he mumbled to himself then looked out the window to see where Johnny was.

"I'm still standing. Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm still standing. Yeah, yeah, yeah"

To the beat of the song, Big Daddy started yanking on the bars of the window, getting the police officer's attention.

"What the...? Hey, hey!" they shouted.

That didn't stop him when they got in. He made it out and ran to see his son.

As Johnny sang, Jamie couldn't help but rock out and sing backstage while the audience did the same.

"Once I never could hope to win
You're starting down the road leaving me again
The threats you made were meant to cut me down
And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now

You know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing. Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm still standing. Yeah, yeah, yeah"

When he ended, everyone cheered for him, Jamie being the loudest.

"What about that, huh? Give it up for Johnny, folks," Buster replied.

"Yeah! Johnny! Johnny!" the audience cheered.

He looked at Miss Crawly, who acknowledged him to bow, which he did. He went backstage where Jamie hugged him tight and he returned it as Miss Crawly handed him a towel. The couple parted and Johnny had a slight frown, making Jamie confused and concerned.

"What's with the face? You were great. They loved you," Rosita said.

"Yeah, thanks, Rosita," Johnny answered, wiping his face with the towel then frowned sadly again.

Jamie sat by him and hugged his arm.

"Is it about your dad?" she asked.

He nodded.

She let her head rest on his shoulder as she told him, "I know it's hard, but like you told me, remember that you have another family. More or less for Mike."

He lightly chuckled then asked, "You're comforting me with my own speech?"

"Yes, I am," Jamie said then added, "And you've been a part of my family from day one."

They hugged as Ash prepared for her turn.

Meanwhile, Big Daddy ran across the rooftops to try and make it to his son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Yay! I'm just gonna say this: I've been obsessed with that song since I first heard Johnny sing it and I LOVE IT!!! Lol! Next up, Ash.