Chapter 28: Big Daddy in Prison and First Argument Between the Lovebirds

Johnny raced to get back to the alley he dropped his dad and the others at. But then he got stuck in traffic. He tried backing out, but he was trapped in, due to a wreck.

Then the gang members came out of the sewer with huge bags of gold.

"We are set for life now, boys!" Johnny's dad shouted happily.

Then he noticed something was off.

"What's going on? Where's Johnny?" he asked.

"He's not here," Barry informed.

Then they heard police sirens coming their way.

"Run!" Big Daddy shouted.

They ran as fast as they could, but the police eventually got them.

Johnny honked the horn, but realized it was too late.

"Oh, I'm dead," he said, hitting his head on the wheel.

Then he and Jamie went to go see his dad in prison. Johnny went first as they talked through the phones that were provided.

"Where were you?" Big Daddy asked, obviously mad.

"Um, well, thing is, I-- I went to get gas, and, um..." Johnny started.

"Don't lie to me!" Big Daddy yelled.

"Um, I was at a rehearsal," Johnny answered.

"Rehearsal? For what?" Big Daddy questioned.

Johnny sighed then said, "I was at a singing contest."

His dad's eyes grew in shock at this news.

"Look, Dad, I'm-- I'm sorry. I just don't want to be in your gang. I want to be a singer," Johnny confessed.

"Singer?" Big Daddy asked.

"Look, dad, no, it's okay, it's okay. I can get the bail money. There's a prize-- it's $100,000--" Johnny assured.

His dad slammed his fist against the table, getting everyone's attention.

"How did I end up with a son like you, eh? You're nothing like me. You never were, and you never will be," he told Johnny then left.

"I'll get you out! Dad, wait! I'll get the money! I promise!" Johnny promised.

He hung up the phone then went to the lobby to see Jamie, who stood up when she saw him.

"You were wrong," he said.

"About what?" she asked.

"About him understanding that I don't want to be in his gang but be a singer," Johnny answered.

"Well, he might in time," Jamie assured.

"You don't get it, do you? He didn't like that I didn't end up like him. Well, I'm gonna get him out," Johnny stated.

Jamie knew exactly what he was going to do.

"You can't steal the prize money. Then you'll prove that you are like him and that you want to be in his gang," she explained.

"Well, you told me that you didn't understand what I'm going through! So why bother?!" Johnny shouted.

"Because I don't want you to end up an orphan like me! I lost everything and you should be grateful you at least have one biological parent!" Jamie yelled.

Johnny's eyes went wide at that. Jamie sighed as she sat down and started tearing up.

"My parents died in a car crash a couple of years ago. They were friends with Rosita and Norman and when my parents died, they offered me a place to stay. They treated me like their own daughter and their children treated me like their big sister they loved to tease. I felt so blessed to have a second family. I felt like I belonged. I still felt that way after I met you. The only reason I couldn't fully help you with what you're going through is because my parents and Rosita and Norman always let me choose what I wanted to do. So if you still think I can't help you, let me prove you wrong by saying this: you steal that money, you're going to turn into someone you don't want to be," she explained.

Jamie got up and walked into the bathroom, leaving a very shocked Johnny. After all this time, he found out she was an orphan. He sighed, left, and went to get the money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Dang! Things got really intense there at the end. Things have to turn around, right?