Secrets and Confessions

Jimin's POV

"Jimin. I love you."
His heart stops, then begins to pound uncontrollably.
This is-
This is-
So sudden, but he's ecstatic and his brain just kind of...
Stops.
Working.
So he's laying under Y/N, thoughts rushing and twirling but no words are coming out, and her face starts to melt. Panicking, he opens mouth to say it back and reassure her, but the words won't come out.
"Jimin?" she says softly, those gorgeous eyes gleaming with fearful expectation.
Jimin wants to answer her, he really does.
He wants to tell her how much he loves her in return, and how she's made his life so much brighter, and that he loves her on a scale that's incomparable to even his closest friends and brothers. He wants to kiss her and stroke her hair and talk about their future with all the certainty of mutually confessed love.
However, every time he opens his mouth to convey those feelings, they get lodged in his throat like a brick.
Y/N bites her lip. "I guess...I didn't expect you to say it back. Just forget I said that, okay?"
"No, I-" he doesn't want to forget; in fact it's quite the opposite. Jimin clears his throat and opens his mouth for the billionth time. "I just...I think...this is so soon, and I..."
Her precious face crumples further, hurt flashing in her eyes.
Then Y/N forces a smile. "It's okay."
No it isn't.
He's screwing himself over, and he doesn't even know why.
Y/N slides off of him, getting off the bed entirely and buttoning her shirt back up. On a normal basis Jimin would savor the sight, watching all the gorgeous milky skin marked by his mouth disappearing beneath the pristine fabric, crumpled by his hands.
But right now, all he can focus on is Y/N's fragile emotions handing on a fraying string in the midst of her eyes. As he watches, that thin string only continues to unravel, spinning and twisting as the threads snap until only one, single thread is left.
Tears well up in her eyes, but Jimin can see her trying to force them back.
"I'm glad everything went okay today," she tells him softly, eyes tracing where he's still lying on the bed. "I'm kind of tired. I think I'll go to bed."
It's only 5:30.
Jimin stands up and catches her arm when she tries to turn. "Wait, please."
And she does, with the eagerness of a puppy waiting for a long-overdue treat. Her eyes are hopeful and expectant, making his heart pound and his hands shake.
"I don't...not like you."
Wait, what?
That isn't what he was going for at all.
"I mean I l-" he tries to force the word out of his mouth, stumbling over it. "I l-" He sighs in defeat. "I like you. A lot."
Coward.
What is he doing? Jimin's watching himself destroy the only romantic relationship he's ever cared about with his own two eyes.
What can't he just say it?
He loves her.
Park Jimin loves Kim Y/N.
How simple is that?
"It's okay. I don't want you to say it if you don't mean it," Y/N mumbles gently. "I'll wait."
She disappears out the door before he can say another word of objection.
Jimin sits on the bed, groaning and putting his head in his hands.
Park, what are you doing?

Y/N's POV

You're basically running, holding back tears of humiliation as you exit his room.
Stupid, Y/N. That was so stupid of you.
But at the same time, you know that it wasn't stupid. After everything g the two of you have been through, don't you have he right to say that?
Actually, after everything, shouldn't he at least be saying it back? Why is he getting stuck here, at the very end?
You don't even know.
You haven't ever gotten this far in a relationship before, and you know that he isn't pretending. You know he feels something for you.
But...
"I don't ...not like you."
What the heck is that even supposed to mean?
It definitely isn't what you were expecting when the words came out. But, you guess you might have jumped the gun a little.
Maybe it's too soon, like he said.
Or maybe he's just on the verge of feeling the same way.
However, as his expression flashes back through your memory, your shoulders sink in doubt. He looked so conflicted.
Did you do something wrong in confessing?
Sighing at all of the questions pounding against your skull, you sink onto the couch in the living room.
You don't even realize that someone else is in there with you until until a deep voice clears its throat.
"Ahem."
You jump about a mile into the air, turning your startled gaze to the other side of the couch where a minty old grandpa is sitting.
"Are you okay?" Yoongi asks gruffly, reluctant concern in his eyes. You the realize that several tears have spilled down your cheeks.
You hastily wipe them off. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine." Turning your body toward the older man, determined. "Um...Yoongi?" When he gives you a hard look, you cough out, "O-oppa?"
"Hm?"
If Jimin won't give you all of the juicy details about what happened today, maybe you can dig it out of Yoongi. "How did it go today?"
Yoongi sighs. "Fine."
You wait.
But nothing else comes out of the man's mouth, and he simply stares at the tv.
Fine. Maybe a different angle.
"Why did you help us?" you ask curiously, trying to make your eyes as big and innocent as possible.
Perplexed, Yoongi tilts his head. "What? You don't think it was out of the goodness of my heart."
Um. No.
You give him a sheepish-yet-imploring smile.
"I helped because of you, Y/N," he finally answers. "Because of you, and what you've done to Jimin."
You frown. "What have I done to Jimin?"
The grin that spreads across Yoongi's face is breathtaking in its rarity. "You've screwed him up so bad that I'm surprised he remembers his own name."
What?
At your expression, Yoongi laughs. "Not in a bad way, Y/N. Hasn't he told you yet?"
"Told me what?" you ask suspiciously.
A secretive smile slips across Yoongi's face, and he winks. "That isn't my secret to tell."
Then he gets up and walks out, leaving you more than confused.
What is Jimin not telling you?