Skeletons in the Closet

He grabbed your arm "Come on. We need to leave before they find us." But you weren't paying attention to him anymore, your pulse rang in your ears and you stared at your father's unmoving body.

A distant voice shook you awake and you hit your forehead on the window.

"We're here" Alfred stated the obvious. The rain didn't reach Rosewood but two a.m. anywhere was never a place of comfort.

You stared at the hospital, which looked more like a haunted bleached-white English fortress than a health institute. You took off your cap and then slipped a red-streaked wig over your head before unzipping your hoodie to reveal a horrible polka dot blouse.

"Seems like you're all dressed up for the occasion" Alfred watched you put on a pair of cat eye glasses.

"I don't want the staff finding out I'm here" You reached for the door handle but the engine stopped and you whipped your head back to Alfred. "What are you doing?"

He unbuckled his seatbelt "I'm going with you"

"Are you crazy? You're gonna attract everyone's attention"

"Oh and your haute couture clothes won't?" He dumped his blue and white varsity into the backseat in favor of a brown bomber jacket.

You rolled your eyes "Whatever, but keep your distance. If the cops start asking around I'm sure everyone will remember the golden boy with glasses and blonde hair"

He chuckled "Hardly golden, but thank you"

You got out of the truck and speed-walked past the low-on-sleep, burly security guard. The AC gave you goosebumps and your nose scrunched up once it caught a whiff of the disinfectant.

The elevator was empty and Alfred made no attempt to chat, maybe because he could feel the dread radiating from your skin. That was fine. You needed these few ten seconds or so to think.

You've always leaned on the heavy side, but your already low self-esteem started to crumble during middle school, and during those years the twins were in England. Mom had divorced your dad and left you in his care five years prior, and your father though caring, had a difficult time connecting with his adolescent daughter. Everyone in school either ignored or mocked you.

You had no one to talk to.

But you held on for as long as you could—until freshman year at Torrington High. That was when you hit rock bottom and the worst possible time to find love.

Your first love.

You hugged yourself and pushed his image away. No, you didn't want to remember him.

You felt something warm over your shoulders and you looked up at Alfred who gave you a small but warm smile "It can't be that bad, right?"

It was bad. Very bad. But you didn't want to worry him any further, so you took a deep breath and nodded as you held the collar of his jacket. "Yeah. Let's hope so."

*

Alfred could tell that the situation was bad, she'd been shaking since she stepped out of the passenger seat and inside the hospital vestibule. Her face lost its glow and her movements were stiff.

Now she was lying and it kind of hurt that she didn't trust him enough.

However, he didn't question her when they snuck inside private room and he found a man with in the bed. He had an IV in his hand and other tubes attached to the nose and mouth. His eyelids seemed to be permanently shut. Alfred shuddered. He often wondered what it'd be like to be in a coma and he would rather be euthanized than spend the rest of his life like Sleeping Beauty. But he wisely didn't tell her that.