Harry Potter AU

"You look cold, want to use me as a blanket?"

Matthew watched in fascination as Eli's freckled cheeks turned almost as red as his hair. Then he wondered if Eli would push him off his seat because the redhead was looking pretty annoyed. Still, Matthew couldn't help but grin.

Apparently that was the wrong thing to do, because Eli's brown eyes narrowed dangerously. Thankfully, they were in herbology class, so Matthew didn't think Eli would hex him. Hopefully.

"Can you stop?" Eli asked in an angry whisper. And honestly, Matthew thought it was impressive how attractive he managed to look even when irritated.

"Fine. I guess I'll leaf you alone."

Everyone in the greenhouse looked back at Eli and Matthew as a loud crash sounded. Slowly, Matthew stood up, a sheepish grin on his face as he dusted off his robes.

"Sorry about that," he said, taking his seat. Beside him, Eli looked like the very picture of innocence. The lesson went on a moment later, though hushed whispers and giggles could be heard. For the most part, no one was really surprised.

Matthew was on his best behavior for the rest of the lesson. Meaning, he didn't bother Eli with any more puns. Mostly because he didn't want the redhead to shove him off his seat again. He still grinned at Eli every time their eyes met, but apparently, as long as he didn't say anything Eli would just ignore him.

Still, Matthew wished Eli wouldn't practically run away from him at the end of class.

"Oh look, you scared him away again," said Michael, one of Matthew's friends and a fellow Gryffindor as they watched the redheaded Ravenclaw hurry back to the castle.

"I did not." Matthew tried not to sound too offended, but then again, his friend wouldn't really care.

"He's practically running away."

"No, he's not!" Matthew glanced over at Eli and then turned back to Michael. "He's just walking. Briskly. Away from me." Michael snorted.

"Well he sure does walk briskly away from you an awful lot."

Matthew chose to ignore that. Mostly because he didn't have an answer that wouldn't prove the other fifth year boy right.

- - - - - - - - -

"I don't know why you bother with this class, you've already put a charm on me." Eli seemed to think that was worthy of a groan, and okay, maybe it wasn't Matthew's best. Still, it wasn't that bad.

Maybe the grin and eyebrow waggling was a bit much.

"Wanna practice your charms on me after class?" Let it never be said that Matthew was one to give up.

"No, but you can help me practice hexing idiots," Eli shot back. By the look on his face, he probably already had a few spells in mind.

"As long as you heal me with your magic touch."

For a moment Matthew thought Eli would shove him off his seat again, but apparently he was resigned to dealing with Matthew and his attempts to win the redhead over. Eli rolled his eyes, his attention quickly regained by the professor. Matthew was amused at how interested the other boy was in the boring lesson. He supposed he really was a Ravenclaw.

Still, it would have been nice if Eli could turn just a fraction of that interest towards Matthew.

Behind them, Michael was struggling not to laugh at his friend's cringe worthy attempts at gaining Eli's affections. Matthew could still hear him snickering even if he tried to pass the sound off as a cough. He waited until the end of the class—and until Eli had rushed away from him—to glare at Michael.