HP AU: Halloween!

"You shouldn't buy so much candy. Besides, you're already sweet enough."

Eli couldn't hold back a groan at the cheesy line. Without turning to look, he knew that Matthew would be grinning proudly, as if he'd said something particularly clever.

"I thought I told you to quit it with the pick up lines," he said, finally turning to face Matthew.

As Eli had predicted, Matthew was grinning widely. He was also carrying armfuls of candy. Enough that Eli could feel his mouth water at the sight.

"But they're so fun," Matthew all but whined.

Eli rolled his eyes, wondering if it was too late to hex Michael for introducing Matthew to pick up lines and puns.

"Well, they're not fun for me," Eli pointed out. Mostly, they were just embarrassing.

"But you're so cute when you blush," Matthew said cheerfully.

Off to the side, a couple of Hufflepuff girls giggled while throwing not so subtle looks their way. Eli glared and they hurried off, but he could feel his cheeks burning.

"Are you going to buy all that?" Eli figured it would be in his best interest to change the subject.

"Yep, gotta stock up while I can." Matthew looked at the lone chocolate frog Eli was holding. "Is that all you're getting?"

Eli looked down at the gold and purple box in his hand.

"Yeah, I mean, these things are pretty big," he said, shrugging.

There was a strange look on Matthew's face, but it was gone in a moment, replaced with one of his usual smiles. One second he looked thoughtful and the next he looked as silly as always.

"Then let's go pay and then we can get some butterbeers," he said, turning to make his was across the busy candy shop. Eli followed closely, taking advantage of Matthew's ability to easily clear a path. Sometimes, it was good to know someone taller than him. Not that Eli would admit it.

Not long after, they were outside Honeydukes, the autumn breeze making Eli shiver. He didn't complain when Matthew drew closer to him, grateful for the bit of extra warmth. By the time they made it to the Three Broomsticks, Eli's face was almost as red as his hair and he wished he'd bothered to wear a hat. The warmth of the pub was a welcome change and Eli let Matthew lead him to an empty table.

"I'll be right back with the butterbeers," Matthew said before heading off to get said drinks.

Eli settled in his seat and wondered, not for the first time, how Matthew had gotten him to agree to go with him to Hogsmeade. Part of it was Eli's friends' fault. Both Collin and Tucker had claimed they were staying to study—which was questionable since they never actually studied. Vanessa had said she was sick and wanted to stay in the castle to rest. She had looked perfectly healthy to Eli despite the unconvincing cough she'd thrown in.

Obviously, his friends were filthy liars.

Still, it wasn't so bad. Matthew was nice enough when he wasn't making stupid jokes. Sadly, he was usually making stupid jokes. Honestly, if he weren't so annoying Eli wouldn't be so hesitant to date him. Even if just thinking about it made Eli feel ridiculously embarrassed.

"Here you go."

The sudden voice and the sound of the heavy mug being set down before him nearly made Eli jump. When he looked up, Matthew was giving him a curious look.

"Oh, thanks," Eli hurried to say, inwardly wincing at how nervous he sounded. He took a sip of his warm drink and was glad to have done so. The warmth of the sweet drink served to calm him a bit.