Ink Imprinted

Chapter 9

I swoop into the kitchen, where Ace is currently eating a piece of toast. He doesn’t even have to look up to know it’s me. “Hey, Scar.”

“Can I have the keys to your car?”

He stops crunching on his buttered toast to stare wildly at me. “No…”

I shrug, slinking back around. “I’ll just go hot-wire it, then.”

He’s in the doorway, blocking my path before I can even get to it. Suspicion is laced all over his face. “Why do you want my car?”

Mostly because it smells like your faint cologne and I’m faintly obsessed with it. “Because I want to go to the store.”

“For?” He presses.

I shift my weight. “Because if we’re going to the lake, I’m going to need a bathing suit….and the last time I was near water was when I was eight.”

“Oh.” He hesitates, stuffing his face with his toast. “I’ll go with you.”

I stare at him. “Why?”

He shrugs. “No reason.”

I know the reason. “You don’t trust me alone, huh?”

He flattens. “I never said that.”

“I wouldn’t trust me, either,” I shrug, swooping out the door and walking to his car.

He follows slowly, getting into the drivers seat. He doesn’t comment on my own words, but instead drives away to the nearest clothing store. I drum my fingers on the side of the seat, watching the trees pass by. “When do you plan on attacking the Vinges?”

“A month or so,” He shrugs. “Why?”

I stop drumming my fingers. “You do know it’s practically a suicide mission, right?”

He shrugs. “No. I have you. And you’re a great leader. With you, we stand a chance.”

I was thinking exactly the opposite. “And how?”

“Don’t worry,” He chirps. “When that bridge comes, we’ll cross it.”

I don’t ask any other questions after that. There’s no time, because we end up in front of a Sears. I jump out, not bothering to wait for him. I know he won’t wait in the car, because he thinks I might find a back door and escape. 

He’s holding us hostage. But I know if I begged hard enough, maybe cry a little, he’d let me go home. But I have no home now. If the Vinges want to take over the world and turn us all into vampires, they’ll be able to do it. I don’t doubt it.