Screaming Blood

Chapter 12

I told Ace to calm his shit and let me have a cup of coffee first.

We have to go out and buy our outfits later, but I have no clue where we’re going for that. I don’t know what stores are around here; hell, I don’t even know where here is.

As I’m stirring a bunch of sugar into my coffee, I feel a presence come behind me. “Scar?”

I turn, glancing at Piers. “Yeah?”

“I’m really sorry about what happened yesterday…I didn’t mean to hit you, and I feel really guilty about it…I would’ve never done that if I didn’t see - ”

“Piers,” I cut him off, mostly because he looks like a little puppy whose going to start crying, “it’s fine. It wasn’t your fault. I don’t blame you, really.”

He looks still hesitant. “So you don’t hate me?”

I start laughing. “Piers, I think it’s utterly impossible to hate you.”

Now he looks relieved. “Thank God. I thought you were really pissed at me.”

“No, that was just Ace. I don’t think he’s mad at you now, though…” I sip some of my coffee. “I’m glad I’m not watching the cameras. I don’t really know how to work all that.”

Piers shrugs. “My dad use to work for a big software company. He taught me a few things when I was younger.”

“That’s cool.”

“Scarlett, let’s go!”

I growl, and Piers grins. Ace is really persistent when he wants to be. “Looks like you’re needed.”

“He’s impatient.”

I grab my coffee, downing half of it, and then run off to find Ace. I find him outside, waiting for me in his new car. In the distance, I see another car already taking off. Probably Lexi and Riker.

I hop in the car, staring at him. “So you just let Lexi, Riker, and Piers do whatever the hell they want? Why am I on a leash?”

He smirks wickedly. “Like I said, you’re important to me. Them, I can replace. You, I cannot.”

“And why can’t you replace me?”

He ignores my question. Instead, he turns up the music so loud it almost makes my ears explode. “What?” He points to his ears, screaming over the music. “I can’t hear you!”

With my glare trained on him, he ignores me completely, pulling out of the driveway with a grin on his face. I turn the music down, deciding on a different question. “Where are we going?”