Fast Talk

Chapter 15

I wake up to someone giggling.

I open my eyes, yawning. I’m still in Ace’s arms, my head cradled into his neck. I pull away a little bit to look up. And what I see makes me want to go back to sleep. It’s Piers and Chelsea. She’s giggling like it’s the funniest thing in the world, and Piers is grinning down at me.

“Mornin’.”

“Oh shut it, Texas,” I snap at him.

“You sleep well?” He asks, ignoring my comment.

“Yes, I did,” I mutter, trying to escape Ace’s hands. When I attempt to sit up, he moves, yanking me back down. This sends the pair into another wave of laughter. I take one of my hands and shove Ace’s shoulder. “Ace. Psst. Ace. Wake up.”

He ignores me, snuggling closer. I growl, trying to push myself away from him. “Ace! Get the hell off of me!” I try kicking his legs, but it does nothing. Finally, fed up, I press my finger gently to one of his eyes and open his eyelid. “Get. Off.”

This wakes him up. He jerks his head back. “The hell - ” He looks to me, flaming, to the two laughing hyenas up above us. “Oh.”

Yet, through all of this, his hands are still tightly wound over my waist. “Ace! Let go, for Christ sakes!”

He grins, squeezing me tighter, finally realizing what‘s going on. “No.”

I growl, glaring at him. “I will bite you.”

A wicked smirk. “Isn’t that my job?”

I start thrashing to get away from him. “Ace - get - the hell - off - me!”

Finally, I escape his grasp, crawling out of the sleeping bag. I collapse onto the floor, breathing in cool air. It felt like an oven in that thing. I glower over at Ace, whose sitting up in the bag. “Asshole.”

He gets out of the bag, standing up. I do the same. Piers and Chelsea disappeared; I think they’re in the kitchen. Lexi and Riker are still passed out. I glance at the time; it’s 9. I look over to Ace. “You know how to make pancakes?”

“Of course. Want some?”

“Of course.”

He grins, grabbing my hand and dragging me into the kitchen. Piers and Chelsea are in the corner, near the fridge. He’s pouring orange juice. “Want some pancakes?”

Piers nods his head as Ace starts rummaging through one of the cabinets. He retrieves pancake mix and syrup. Then he finds a pan and a bowl. He knows where everything is. He’s lived here before, or stayed here long enough.

Chelsea looks over at me, smiling. “You’re Scarlett, right?”