Big Brother

Chapter 23

“Hey, Ace?” I ask when we’re driving away from the Italian restaurant.

“What?”

“Um…I haven’t actually seen you…you know…”

He blinks and turns to me, confusion all over his eyes. “What?”

I deflate. He’s going to make me say it. “Drink blood.”

He looks back to the road. “Oh.” His fingers drum on the steering wheel. “People like me…they don’t need to drink at least once a week…its more like once every two months…but I have drank recently…”

I wince, looking away. “Lovely.”

“But the thing is, I haven’t drank from a human in over three years.”

I snap my head back to him in surprise. “What? How?”

He smiles, but it looks forced. “Animals. I can drink from them and feel less guilty about it. But they’re not the same as humans, so I have to drink a lot from them because their blood isn’t as healthy as humans…or if I feel really terrible, I can just eat tons of raw meat. Blood in that, too.”

“No way.” I turn to stare at him fully. “What about vampires…can they…?”

“Dunno,” He replies. “Never asked.”

I slide down in my seat, clunking my head to the window. “I never even though of that.”

“Still makes me feel sick to my stomach, though,” Ace says aloud.

It must be horrible for him. He’s forced to kill, either way. Human or animal. It pretty much is a lose-lose situation. To feel that way….everyday….he’s one strong guy. And that’s probably what the Vinges are going to do when they make their ‘human-vamprires’. They’re just going to drink from animals or eat raw meat. They can’t drink from humans, they’ll be wasting a life that they could use for their army.

We pull into the driveway, but there’s a car missing. “Who went out?”

Ace shrugs. “Probably Chelsea. Or maybe Riker? Dunno. Who cares.”

I shrug too, making a move to open my car door. But Ace is faster and gets it for me. When I get out, I make sure to give him a scowl. “I can get my own door, you know.”

He holds his hands up in a mock-surrender. “Sorry. Forgot how independent you were.” Nevertheless, he grabs my waist, forcing me to walk with him stuck to my side. He tries to be sneaky and slide his hand down a little too far, but I grab it and place it on my back.

“Nice try, slick.”

He grins wickedly at me. “It was worth a shot.”