Ride Along

Chapter 26

“Is that the last of the ammo?” I ask Ace, shoving all our weapons into the back trunk. Let’s hope we don’t get pulled over anytime soon. 

Ace nods, throwing another handgun into the car. “Yeah.”

“Good. We have food and stuff, too, right?”

“Yep.” He looks over to Riker and Lexi. “Any of you guys need to use the bathroom before we head out?”

Lexi throws him a dry look. “Funny.” And then she gets into the car, slamming the door.

Ace grins, turning to me. “Alright. Let’s go.”

The cars are packed full of ammunition and weapons. The Vinges don’t know we’re coming. We have the element of surprise on our hands. Lexi and Riker are riding in one car, and Ace, me, and Piers are in the other. We only have two days to get there. The attack is in five. That means we’ll have two extra days to plan and prepare for whatever’s coming our way.

“Piers, get off my sister before I break your fucking neck.”

Piers pulls away from the lip-lock he was sharing with Chelsea. He murmurs something to her, and she nods, smiling up at him. Piers comes over to us, and shoots me a smirk. When he opens the door to the backseat of the car, Ace shoves him in hard and slams the door. Piers throws him the finger, grinning.

Chelsea comes over to Ace and wraps her arms around him. He does the same, hugging her and burying his face into her hair. “Be safe, alright? I love you.” She tells him.

He nods. “I will. Love you too.”

He pulls away, but she grabs onto his arm, looking him dead in the eyes. “Don’t die, okay?”

Ace laughs a little bit. “I’ll try not to.”

“I’m serious, Ace.”

“I am too.” He kisses her head and then turns to me, nodding his head towards the car. “Get in.”

I smile at Chelsea. “If he gets his dumbass into trouble, I’ll save him for you.”

She brightens up a little bit. “Thanks, Scarlett.”

I get into the passenger seat and Ace into the driver’s seat. He’s the only one who can figure out how to get to Oregon from here. So once we’re there, Riker will lead the way to show us where they’re planning the broadcast. We wave goodbye to Chelsea, and once she’s out of view, I sigh.

Piers sighs too, digging into the backpack he brought with us. “Please, try to control yourselves while I’m back here.”

Ace looks at him in the mirror. “You didn’t control yourself when you were kissing my sister.”