Attractive Blood

Chapter 14

“What the hell did I tell you about not making a scene, Scarlett?!” Ace roars at me, spinning hot onto the highway.

“I’m sorry! He came in, what the hell did you want me to do!?” I snap back, shoving my gun back into the strap on my thigh.

“Not shoot at the guy! The whole damn ballroom heard it!”

“He was attacking me, I tried to seduce him at first, but he didn’t buy it. Shooting was my last option!”

He pauses, eyes darting to me, the whole pissed off demeanor gone. “What do you mean by ‘seduce’?”

I wave into the air, looking out the window. “Nothing. It didn’t work.”

It gets silent, and he sighs. Then he presses at the earpiece inside his ear. “Hey, Piers. Tell the others that we can’t go back to the house tonight, it’s not safe. We gotta go to another safe house I have. Just follow my car.”

“Copy that.”

I peer over at Ace. “What do you mean it’s not safe?”

“They’ll be looking for us, I mean, you. I have other safe houses. Even though that house I have now is deep in the forest, there’s a possibility they might find it tonight. It’s close by the mansion they had the party in.”

I keep staring. “What do you mean, me? They saw you there too.”

“They didn’t even I know I was your date, until they look at that picture. Lexi and Riker weren’t even near us, and I didn’t try shooting at any of them. They didn’t see me drive away. They only know you for right now. Barely. They don’t know your name, nothing.”

“Until they recognize my face as the number one ranker,” I mutter under my breath, sinking more into my seat.

He glances over at me, sighing. “I’m sorry for flipping out on you.”

“No, you were right. I caused a scene.”

“But if you didn’t fight back, you’d probably be dead right now. You did good, sweetheart.”

I bite my lip, choosing not to reply. I want to ask him about the file I saw. About him. The level that said dangerous. I want to know what it means. And why he excels in strength above all the others. I want answers, but not right now.

So, about an hour later, we show up at a house. It’s around midnight, and it’s too dark to even see where we are. All I know is that it’s a small house, and the cars aren’t really secluded. “Ace, if we leave the cars out, the Vinges will see them and know we’re here.”

He shakes his head, getting out of the car with me. “They won’t bother. We’re in Nevada.”