Drinking in Europe

Chapter 29

Claire stirs, and I’m clutching a knife in one hand, a gun in the other. I don’t know what she’ll do when she wakes up. She might stay there, or she might charge at me like a bull. She’s not a very good fighter, so she’ll go down easily. At least, I hope she will.

When her eyes flutter open, she looks around, head on the wall. She finally spots me and groans. It’s quiet for a moment or two, and I’m watching her every move. But I jerk away when the lights of the studio come on.

The power is on. Someone of the Vinges turned it on. They’re ready to send the cue out. There’s a scream that comes from upstairs, but it doesn’t sound like a girl’s. Some gunshots go off, and a bunch of loud rumbling and thudding noises pound the floor. I wince at the noises and look back to Claire, who is now fully staring at me.

“What happened to your leg?” She asks quietly, in pain.

“You’re fucking boyfriend broke it,” I hiss at her. “But don’t worry, I got him back.”

“Piers isn’t my…” And it hits her. Her eyes widen, and she looks around. A full sob leaves her mouth when she sees Riker in a pool of blood around his head. A couple more sobs leave her mouth, and I stay silent, just simply watching her.

She’s a bitch. She leaves Piers, but I can understand that.  But leaving him for Riker? It’s messed up. Riker doesn’t even know how much pain he was in, what she put him through. Leading him on like that was the dumbest idea ever. 

When she’s finished crying, she looks to me numbly. “He was my true love.”

I feel a little remorse, but it bounces off me just as fast as it came. “He deserved it, just like you do, you two-faced bitch.”

She glares her hatred towards me. “No. I’ll just get revenge, I’ll kill your true love. Better yet, I’ll have Graham do it. I wonder where they are now…”

As if on cue, another gunshot goes off. I panic and look towards the ceiling. I want to get up there, I need to see if he’s okay. I’m suppose to be helping, for Christ’s sakes. I can’t even move, I’m so friggin useless.

“Well you know what,” I snarl at her. “Since you miss Riker so much, why don’t you go join him?”

I take the gun that I was hiding behind my back and cock it. She sees it and starts sobbing hysterically. She starts to struggle in getting off the ground. But I’m quicker. The bullet hits her chest, and she dives into the floor again, this time unmoving. I sigh deeply, squeezing my eyes shut. She’s dead. And I have no remorse, at least, for her.

I instantly feel bad for Piers. I have to be the one to tell him she’s dead. But not only that, I have to tell him I’m the one who killed him. I’m the one who shot her in the chest. I’m the one that killed his ex-girlfriend that he probably still cares about. And now she’s gone.

I clunk my head to the wall, eyes still closed. Now I’m stuck here, alone. I don’t even know if the cue was sent out. The machines are all over on the other side of the wall, but I can see them. I could probably shoot them and they won’t work anymore.