Chapter 8

Months passed. Danielle and Nash were back in their own worlds; her in her small one-bedroom apartment in Indiana, him in his large flat in LA. They lived their lives, trying to forget what had happened; trying to forget the awkwardness that was that night. But here's the thing about love: its victims all have an elephant's memory.

*************

Danielle had been discharged from the hospital the day after the incident. She had decided to keep the entirety of the situation to herself, saying only that Nash was there to check on her for a minute before he left. Her Twitter friends tried to console her, saying that she would see him again, and that at least she got to meet and talk to him. She just nodded along to their stories, letting them think what they wanted.

One friend even went as far as to say "this is just a bump in the road. The beautiful road that leads to a beautiful path that leads to a beautiful love between you and Nash."

"She's quite the optimistic dreamer," sighed Danielle. She didn't really care what any of them thought. She knew it would never happen; she wasn't an idiot. But she held onto her memories. Meeting her friends for the first time; stalking Nash from the bushes; the love connection that their hearts foolishly both felt; fainting in his arms; the sweet, soft touch of Nash's lips meeting hers...

Danielle jolted up from her bed where she had been sprawled out.

"WHAT?" she yelled out loud to no one in particular. What was this thought that had suddenly entered her brain? This wasn't real. It was something her mind imagined right? But when the fuzzy picture in her mind became clear, she realized that this dream was actually a memory. The mental picture of Nash standing above her came into focus as her brain started to remember.

After she had demanded that he leave (a decision she regrets every day), she cried herself to sleep. Up until now, that was all she had remembered. But now, as these memories emerged, she heard Nash walk back into that hospital room. Danielle had been sleeping, or so she thought, but her conscious was still wide awake. She listened to her memory, hearing Nash walk to her bedside and whisper something in her ear. She couldn't understand. Suddenly she felt something touch her front jean pocket. Then he whispered to her again, and this time she could comprehend. He sounded like an angel sent from Heaven above when he spoke.

"Call me," he had said, then he left the room.

Danielle snapped back into reality, realizing that she was tearing up. She ran down the narrow hallway to her allotted laundry room and furiously dug through the dirty hamper until she found then jean short she had been wearing that night. (Thankfully she hadn't done laundry in over a month, so the item in her pocket was not destroyed by the washer).

After tearing apart the area, she finally found the shorts under a Minecraft tee. She shoved her hands into the pockets and pulled out a shiny white guitar pick from the right pocket. She turned it over to see a number scribbled on the back. There was no name, but she knew exactly who it was from.