Chapter 12

Just before they reached his car, Nash stopped abruptly, slightly pulling Danielle backwards.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said smiling at her. "I just can't believe that this is all happening. I didn't think I'd ever see you again."

Danielle was speechless, so Nash continued.

"I mean, after I didn't hear from you for weeks on end, I figured you hated me too much after what I said... Which was an accident I swear," he added.

"I know," she reassured him. "I honestly didn't even remember that I had your number until just a few hours ago. Hence the random phone call earlier."

"You mean earlier when you hung up on me?" he teased. Danielle looked down awkwardly and shrugged.

"Maybe..."

After a week moments of silence, she continued, "You have to understand that this type of thing doesn't happen to me. I'm not the character in the movie that ends up with the hot guy in the end."

"So you think I'm hot huh?"

"Yes that's already been established. Keep up," she teased back. She continued, "Anyway, this conversation is getting way to mushy for a first date. We should be talking about the weather and baseball, not feelings and crap."

Nash laughed as he opened the car door for her. She slid onto the fancy leather seat of his fancy shiny car, feeling very uncomfortable in such a nice vehicle. She wasn't used to the luxurious lifestyle and this expensive-looking car made her feel insignificant compared to him. Noticing her change in demeanor, Nash smiled sweetly and grabbed her hand. He didn't say anything, but something about him made her feel alright.

After a few minutes of driving in silence, Danielle finally spoke.

"You know, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping you'd be driving a '57 Chevy," Danielle joked. Nash smiled a bit and Danielle apologized for the cheesy reference.

"I promise I won't reference any more songs," she said, her cheeks red from embarrassment.

"No, I think it's cute," he smiled, winking at her.

"Good, because that's going to happen on a daily basis, I can already tell."

Nash smiled to himself. She was thinking about the future. A future with them. That thought excited and terrified him all at once. He was so used to being lonely and couldn't handle another heartbreak. He thought she was "the one", but he had thought that before, so he just wasn't sure anymore.

When Nash snapped back out of his thoughts, he realized that Danielle had continued talking.

"-and it has this really tasty pasta sauce that I think you would like."

He tried to pretend that he had been listening, but his confused look gave him away. He peered at her apologetically and she just laughed quietly and looked down.

"Sorry... I was just uh... thinking..."

"It's fine, I was just saying that you probably didn't know of any places here, so I suggested one."

"Places for what?"

"Umm eating? Isn't that what we're doing?"

"Oh right..."

Nash had just been driving around aimlessly for the past few minutes.

Danielle gave him a few different options for restaurants in the area. He of course chose the most expensive and fanciest one. She gave him directions and they were silent for the remainder of the drive. He was too distracted by her to think about anything else. Her beauty amazed him. She wasn't the typical bleach blonde tramp from LA that most guys found attractive, that Nash usually found attractive. She was different. She had a simplicity about her. He loved that. He was so sick of fakes and copies. It was nice to see an original. A beautiful one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

They pulled into the parking lot of "La Bella" just before 8. The restaurant was a high-end (well high-end for Indiana anyway) Spanish sit-down place. The parking lot was packed, with the only open space being in the employee lot around back. Nash got out and ran around to open the car door for Danielle. He bowed all proper-like and she smiled, as she gracefully exited his expensive ride. He clicked the button on his key ring to lock the car then held out his arm for Danielle to take. They walked arm in arm up to the door of the restaurant, not talking the entire 3 minutes. When they reached the entryway, they saw that the inside of La Bella was just as packed as the parking lot. There were no visible seats, but Nash refused to leave. He waltzed on up to the host and using his best manners, requested that they be seated. The host explained that no seats would be available for the remainder of the evening and that the couple would have to return another night.

Nash didn't like this answer.

"Listen," Nash said as he looked the host's name tag. "Listen Jared, I brought this beautiful girl here expecting to treat her to a fantastic array of Spanish cuisine, and I don't plan on leaving here until that happens."

"Nash! It's okay!" Danielle prompted, trying to pull him out of the host's face before they got in trouble.

"Not now Danielle," he whispered in her direction. He faced back towards Jared and spoke softly, so no one but the two of them could hear.

"Now," he said, pulling out a $50 bill and slipping it into the host's pocket. "I'm sure you can find at least one open table, eh?"

Jared stood his ground, repeating the fact that all of the tables were full.

"Do you know who I am?!" Nash said, just loud enough to turn some heads. He was getting frustrated. Usually people fell to his feet when they knew of his fame.

"No I do not, nor do I care sir," Jared replied coldly.

"Listen here bub!" Nash yelled, getting up in Jared's face. Danielle grabbed Nash's arm and yanked him away as the host called security. Danielle desperately pulled him out of the restaurant as he yelled various colorful words to the host and security guards. She managed to get him to the car before she finally let go of him. He slid down the side of his car until he was sitting on the ground. He put his head in his hands and inhaled heavily. Danielle just stood there and watched his diaphragm move in rhythm with his breath. He finally spoke.

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "I really wanted this to be special. If only that stupid Jared and his fancy Spanish restaurant weren't such douches."

Danielle slid down next to Nash and rested her head on his shoulder without saying a word. They listened to the melody of their intermingling breaths meet the song of the wind that surrounded them. It was peacefully beautiful.