Confrontation

"Okay babe, I'm so taking this cubicle," Marilyn hoots and dumps her stuff onto a shiny new table. Derek directed us to immediately move to the upper floors of the building and I'm impressed. The offices here are way swankier, cooler and more comfortable than the one I previously had. I'd never stepped into the management floor because I never had the chance but wow, they even have a coffee machine yet that serves real, actual coffee. Not that I like it or anything. I'm just awed. I even took a peep at the toilets.

Mhm. Their toilets do not have any graffiti on the walls screaming "My boss is a bitch!" and there's actually an air refreshner inside. If this is where the bosses work, I really don't mind it.

With one exception of course.

"I'll take this side," I quickly mutter, heading for the cubicle the furthest away from Ed Hardy's office. His office is tinted and I can't even see anything inside. Possible for security purposes or maybe he just preserved the design of Raymond's office. We all knew why Raymond needed tinted offices. It's hard for employees to concentrate on their work if their boss' sexual activities are laid out for them to see.

"Okay, assemble everyone, Mr Hardy wants to speak to you all," Derek calls.

We huddle together and I force myself to stand at the back. Not the best way to impress your boss but it's the perfect way to remain inconspicuous infront of Mr.Blind.Date.

"Welcome." Ed emerges from his office, a confident smile plastered on his face though his tone was serious. "I personally selected the group of you to aid me in leading this company with better prospects. Your previous employer, Raymond, has made a serious mess with the company's finances and I'm here to rectify it." His eyes bore into each and everyone of us and I shrink away from his intense gaze. I don't think he has spotted me yet.

"I hope we work together as a team and since this is a busy period, I do need all of your cooperation," Ed continues. His eyes flick across the crowd, as if he is searching for someone or something. As his eyes land on me, his lips curve into a devilish grin and he winks. At me.

AT ME.

"No shit, Mr Hot Boss winked at you," Marilyn whispers huskily by my ear.

"Nah. He's winking at you." I quickly made up an excuse.

"Really?" Marilyn winks back at Mr Hardy. "He's so hot. I can't stand it."

Ed looks surprised to see Marilyn winking back at him. He narrows his eyes at me and I lower my head. Take that, Mr-Know-It-All.

"Please proceed back to your work," Ed finishes. "And Chloe, I want to see you in the office. One moment." He gestures to me with his finger.

I stand there like an idiot.

"Get moving or you will make me look bad," Derek hisses and prods me on the back.

"Okay, keep your pants on," I retort back and mustering all the dignity I still have, I follow Ed into his office.

Woah. His office is completely different from Raymond's one. I heard from some office gossip that Raymond's office actually has a BED in it. I think all of us can guess what its function is for but I'm too grossed out by his kinky-sex-nonsense. At first glance, I can instantly deduce that Ed is a no-nonsense and serious person who takes shit from no one. His office is well...shiny and proper. The silver metallic table has a golden plate with "Ed Hardy, Executive Director" written in bold letters.

Wow. And his bookshelves. There're so many BOOKS in here. I peer at one title, it read, "How to Boost Your Employees' Confidence." Seriously? Do people actually read things like that? I can personally tell him how to boost our confidence. Increase our pay and give us holidays. It's as simple as it is.

"Chloe."

Woah, back off there. I spin around to face him. Why does his voice sound so....soft? Back out there in the office, his tone was hard and commanding. What's with the sudden change?

He takes a step towards me and I take a step back.

"What do you want, Mr Hardy?" I say stiffly.

"Mr Hardy?" Ed raises his eyebrows. "I thought it was Ed this morning."

Darn him. Darn his pompous attitude. Darn his attractive smile that makes me melt.

"No, it isn't. We're not friends and we don't know each other," I reply defiantly.

"We went on a blind date. Doesn't that count?" he grins. "I thought it went really well until...." At that point, he frowns and gazes at me puzzedly.

I can see the question on his face:

Why did this girl reject me, the most handsome man on this earth?

Well, Mr-Irritating, if you think I'm going to fall for your crap after insulting me this morning, you're delusional. For goodness sake, he's a professional. My boss. He knows it's improper to do all this in the office. What will all my colleagues think?

"Okay look." I close my eyes. "I only went for the blind date because my Mum made me. Okay? I don't need any romance in my life right now. I'm perfectly okay being celibate."

"Really?" Ed challenges. "This morning, I clearly remembered you moaning to me that you've had sex 5 times only and that you haven't had a proper boyfriend in 4 years."

Dang, he's right. Why did I blurt out my life story to him? Now, it has come back to bite me in the butt.

"I'm a mature woman who does have sexual needs but look, the guy I'm looking out for is not you, okay?" I retort.

"How do you know?"

"Because you think you're America's most eligible bachelor!"

"No, I do not."

"Yes, you do! You think it's okay to make fun of women just because there're so many of them practically salivating for you!"

"You thought I was making fun of you this morning?" Ed looks disgusted. "I was making a joke, for goodness sake! I really do like you. That's why I attempted to be funny."

"Of course." I roll my eyes. "Everyone knows Mr-Too-Intense doesn't possess a sense of humour."

"What did you just call me?" There's a glint in his hypnotic brown eyes.

"Mr-Too-Intense, Mr-Too-Frowny, everything's just a challenge to you," I growl.

"Look, you're mistaken about me, I-"

"Shut up."

Both of us take a step back. I'm practically flushed red in the face and he looks slightly hazzled. Suddenly, he begins to laugh. A deep throaty laugh. I jump. He sounds...nice when he laughs. Now, I'm partial to his laughter as well as his smile. I don't know what he thinks is so funny but I can just listen to him laugh all day and not get bored.

"Okay, Ed, I'm not your type of girl, ok?" I sigh. "I just want to remain in my own professional capacity and treat you like my boss and I can't do that if I'm reminded constantly of the blind date. That happened in my private social life. I don't want to mix up my private and work stuff."

"I do agree with you,' Ed says seriously. "What if I'm not satisfied with that?"

"Well, you'll have to make do with it. I'm not obliged to obey you in every aspect. Now, if you'll let me go, Mr Hardy, I need to go work on some designs." I glare back at him, challenging him to stop me.

"Go ahead, Miss Manson, I look forward to talking to you again." He grins.

I walk out of the office with my head held high. Looks like it's going to be war.