Cold War

For a few days, I take a leave of absence. I don't answer any of Mum's gazillion calls nor do I try to contact Ed because I know that it's over. But I just can't face the truth. That's how I ended up cooping at home just staring off into space.

But today, I have to get back to work so that Raymond won't sack me or anything. I mean, life goes on right? That's what everyone says.

As I step into the office, Zoe's eyes bulge out and she screams, "Chloe! You're back!" She rushes forward to hug me.

"Yea, I'm back." I can't help but smile at Zoe's infectious mood. "Has anything changed?"

"Nah, Raymond didn't get sacked," Zoe chuckles. "Have you been well? I was so worried after you had to spend such a long time at the hospital!"

"Yea," I hesitate. "Everything's fine." I know it's bad to lie to Zoe but I will break down infront of her if I have to tell her that I'm pregnant and I've ended things with Ed. I just can't.

I stalk towards my desk and I burrow myself in work. Every now and then, I try to peep into Ed's office for no good reason but the windows are tinted black so I can't see anything actually.

"Babe."

I look up to find Marilyn staring at me with a strange expression.

"Yea?"

"I have something to tell you." Marilyn looks...nervous, completely unlike her usual confident self.

"What?" I say warily. "Has something happened?"

"You were gone for a long time so I didn't manage to break the news to you." She breathed in as if preparing herself. "Derek and I are married," she says it in a rush.

HUH? Marilyn. Derek. Marilyn. Derek. Impossible.

"You're kidding me right?" I ask incredulously. "Derek's not your Mr Right."

"I love him, Chloe." Marilyn flicks her hair. "It was a pretty simple fair. We just got hitched in Vegas and it was awesome because it was totally fuss-free."

"Right," I say before going back to sketching a design for an apartment.

"By the way, are things between Ed and you fine?" she asks concernedly.

I freeze like a rabbit. Did Ed tell her? Or does the entire company know?

"Why?" I ask warily. "Have you heard some news?"

"No." Marilyn rolls her eyes. "Just that he has been spending the past few nights in the office. Everyone reckons it's because he's going all workaholic over the new client but I thought maybe you might know something."

"I don't know, I'm sorry," I say curtly and resume my sketch.

As Marilyn walks away, I lift up my head and stare at Ed's office. As much as I hate it, I still love him and I just can't forget his image, his presence and his face. Most of all, I'm worried that he's taking the breakup too seriously. What if he does something foolish?

Going against logic, I make my way to his office and I knock hesitantly on the door. No one answers but I step in anyway.

The moment I close the door, I gasp.

There are crumpled coffee cups and crushed paper all over the place. I turn my head to find Ed sleeping on the couch.

Why...Why does he have to do this? Why does seeing him like this pain me so much? I'm supposed to forget him, for goodness sake.

"Ed?" I say softly but he doesn't respond.

I make my way to his side and my heart constricts at the sight of him. He has a stubble and even I can tell he hasn't washed up or shaved for a couple of days. There are pale dark shadows underneath his eyes, as if he had survived on nothing but coffee after working long nights.