Defiance

"Don't worry, she'll be fine," Ed murmurs softly. He puts his hand around my shoulders and I lean my head against his shoulder.

We're sitting outside the ER room right now. There hasn't been any news of Evelyn for two hours straight and I'm afraid...

No. Stop it. She's going to be fine.

Berry's sitting opposite me on one of the benches and he looks pale and shrivelly. His sons, Brandon, Jerry and Mark are chasing each other in the ER. No one shushes them, not even the nurses, because they don't want them to know what's going on.

"Berry..." I start. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have dragged Evelyn to Hannah's office.

"Sorry, Chloe, I'm just...It's not your fault." Berry sniffs. "I'm just worried. What if I lose her and the baby?" He breaks into tears and I stare at him in shock. It's always weird when you see a guy crying. I know it's sexist and all but seeing Berry all vulnerable and all, it makes me want to cry too.

"Don't worry," Ed says in an authoritative, crisp voice. "I'm taking legal action against Hannah."

I stare back at him in silence. He doesn't look upset or anything, especially after I showed him the paternity test letter and that Hannah was the one who pushed Evelyn. He seems so....calm. I'm not sure if he's having a delayed reaction.

I put my hand on his forehead. "Are you sick or something?" I ask.

"What?" he replies, slightly annoyed but he holds my hand anyway and I feel his warmth radiating throughout my body.

"You don't seem upset."

"About Evelyn? Yes, I am. About Hannah? No," Ed says softly. "I'll admit that I'm kind of relieved the baby wasn't mine. It meant that Hannah was the one who cheated on me and I didn't killed my own child."

"Where's Hannah right now?" I ask.

"In my Mum's office," he says and doesn't say anything further.

I stay silent. I don't need to ask anything further. Nothing's more important than saving Evelyn right now. I don't really care about Hannah either way.

At this moment, an important-looking doctor came out. He glances up from a chart, "Are any of you Ms Evelyn Benson's kin?"

"Me!" Berry jumps up and rushes over. "I'm her husband. Is my wife okay?" he clutches the wrist of the doctor.

"Mr Benson," the doctor says, looking perplexed. "We need you to make a crucial decision right now. Your wife is losing too much blood. We need to remove the foetus straightaway."

"Wha...what?" Berry steps back. "Are you killing my child?"

"Mr Benson," the doctors says exasperatedly. "If we do not remove the foetus right now, your wife will die."

Berry sobs and I place a hand on his shoulder. "Berry, calm down," I whisper.

"Doctor, just...get the baby out," Berry says softly. "I just want my wife back. Please. "

"We'll try out best," the doctor says solemnly, nods to Ed and goes back to the surgery room.

"Don't worry. Zac is good at his job," Ed says reassuringly. Berry nods, only half-convinced and slumps back against the chair before closing his eyes.

"You're on first terms with the surgeon?" I say skeptically.

"He was a close family friend. I practically grew up under his watch," Ed says. "Are you thirsty? Or tired? Do you need a cup of coffee?"

"Yes please," I reply gratefully and sit down on a chair as Ed wanders off down a corridor.

I stay like that for a few moments unlike I spot two figures walking down the corridor towards me.