Wedding Preparations

"Try on this red gown, darling."

"No, wear this blue grown. It suits your eyes."

"This wedding gown's so intricate. Darling, you must buy this!"

"It's too flashy. As a young woman, you need a more subdued gown."

I roll my eyes and survey the two women in front of me.

Eleanor.

Mum.

I sigh. "Okay, look, I won't be wearing that many evening dresses so can we just pick a few and be off?"

We've spent literally the entire afternoon in the bridal gown shop and we're not even half-done. Eleanor and Mum can't reach a compromise on which gown I'm wearing. They are basically....snapping at each other. It's actually a pretty entertaining scene.

Eleanor snaps her fingers and the shop assistant appears right at her side. "Do you have any of the gowns by Vera Wang?" she demands.

"I'm sorry, Madam," the shop assistant apologises. "Vera Wang gowns are really exclusive. They are on a waiting list."

"George," Eleanor barks out. Instantly, her chauffeur slash assistant appears. "Get Vera Wang on the phone and tell her that I need a wedding gown for my daughter-in-law."

"Yes m'am," he says respectfully before whipping out a black phone.

"Eleanor." I frown. "You don't have to go through all these trouble. I know Vera Wang dresses and diamond rings are every girl's dream but I would prefer it if I can keep it simple."

"As you wish," Eleanor sniffs, looking slightly miffed before sashaying away to look at a collection of wedding photos.

"She's scary," Mum mutters. "What does Adrian see in her?"

"Sheesh," I whisper. Of course, it's not as if Mum's still in love with Adrian or anything but she's still pretty sarcastic about it nowadays.

"Chloe," Eleanor calls out.

"Yes?"

"Have you gotten your bridesmaids' list ready?"

"Yup." I take out my pink wedding planner notebook and consult it. "My bridesmaids are Zoe, Marilyn and Evelyn. The bridegrooms are just a few of Ed's college mates."

Eleanor purses her lips. She was initially dissatisfied with the list and had wanted to hire some models to be my bridesmaids but I told her that if she did that, I will just elope to Las Vegas with Ed to get hitched like Marilyn.

"Add another name to it," Eleanor says.

"Who?" If she dares to suggest Angelina Jolie, I'm going to....

"Ed's female cousin. She's my sister's daughter. Her name's Autumn Young."

"Why?" I ask suspiciously.

"She's returning from UK for a short trip and she has been close to Ed ever since they were young. I think it would be fair for her to be a part of this wedding and not just in the capacity of a guest."

"Fine." I note down her name.

"Wedding invitations?" Eleanor demands.

"Done. Ed thinks that the roses-embroidered one looks the best so I've chosen it. I've sent it out to both sides of the family as well."

"Wedding location?"

"At Ed's uncle's castle." I scowl. Seriously, who on earth marries in a castle? I know it's romantic and all but it's a bit too grand for my liking. Mum practically squealed when she heard that.

"Honeymoon location?"

"We will go to Venice first before dashing off to France. All the tickets and locations are booked," I say smoothly.

Eleanor's eyebrows arched up with surprise. "You're surprisingly efficient now."

"I'm no longer just a single woman," I say coolly. "I'm now a wife and a mother. It's high time I become more responsible."

"Satisfactory." Eleanor nods and moves away to inspect some other thing.

Mum spots me and hustles over. "That was scary. How do you manage to handle her on a daily basis?" She fanned herself. "If it had been me, I would have just stomped off and left."

"I love Ed, that's why. For him, I will do anything." I smile.