Confrontation

Footsteps interrupt our disturbed thoughts. I turn my head puzzledly but inside, my mind is whirling. Ed's brother slept with Hannah? Seriously? That's the worst kind of betrayal ever.

"Anyone here is Evelyn Benson's kin?" Dr Zac says hesitantly. His eyes flick to Eleanor and widen, "Eleanor, what happened?"

Berry leaps to his feet and I rush towards his side. I need Eveylyn to be okay. I need her baby to be okay. It's all my fault. All my damned fault.

"Give me the details please," Eleanor snaps at Dr Zac and I stare at her. I would never ever speak so harshly to anyone but I guess she has reason enough this time.

"Well, fortunately, we managed to stop Mrs Benson's excessive bleeding," Dr Zac says kindly, giving us the sympathetic gaze.

"So she's fine?" Berry pipes up, his face lighting up and his frown instantly vanishes.

"Yes, but we need to keep her under close observation for the next 24 hours," Dr Zac says.

"Thank goodness," Berry murmurs, closing his eyes.

"And the baby?" I ask hesitantly and my heart skips a beat when I see Dr Zac's frown in place.

"I'm sorry. We didn't manage to keep the baby," Dr Zac answers softly, patting me on the back.

I stiffen and turn to Berry, wondering how he's handling the shock but he just keeps muttering, "As long as Evelyn's okay, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine...."

"I will leave the things here in your hands, Zac," Eleanor cuts in briskly. "Ed and I need to pay a visit to Jack."

"I'm not sure the Chief is free at the moment...." Dr Zac says uncertainly.

"He will make time for us," Eleanor snaps and storms off. Ed takes my arm and we hurry after her, leaving behind Dr Zac and Berry.

"Is your mother going berserk?" I whisper as we wind around corridor after corridor.

"Not yet," he grimaces. "But she will be. Jack's her favorite child. It hurts her that her perfect son had committed such a scandalous act." Ed's hurt. I realise. He's hurt by the fact that whatever he does never matches up to Jack and even so, he accepts it. Until he found out what his brother had done.

"Who cares about her?" I touch his face gently. "I think you're way better than Jack."

"Don't say that yet," he laughs. "Wait till you see his face. Many girls have swooned over him."

We finally reach the door and Eleanor stops short, as if she's gathering all her strength to do this. She knocks on the door briskly and there's some sort of muffled scuffling from inside the room.

"Jack," Eleanor barks. "I need to see you this instant."

"Hang on," Jack shouts. There's some banging and scuffling until the door's finally thrown open and a girl with an unbuttoned shirt emerges. Eleanor looks taken aback and Ed seems disgusted.

"Sorry," the girl mutters and darts away from the corridor.

"Mother?" Ed prompts.

"Sorry, I just needed a moment...." Eleanor mutters and moves into the room. I step right in behind her and I'm well, almost bowled over by his brother.

He's...to put in simpler terms, gorgeous even by modern male standards. He has floppy blonde hair and toned muscles, as if he works out at the gym every single day. He gives us an easy grin and I immediately understand why Hannah slept with him. But...he somehow stink of superficiality. His smile seems forced and his eyes are cold, unlike Ed's warm ones. Both brothers are literally like day and night.