Open Fire

I wake up in the middle of the night, shivering from the cold. I have no blanket and no bed to keep myself from freezing.

Helpless, I look around the room. Jack's sitting in a corner, asleep with the revolver at the side while Hannah's in the car outside, guarding us.

"Chloe?" Ed stirs. He sits up and asks concernedly, "What's wrong?"

"Sorry, I just felt a little cold," I whisper. "Just go back to sleep. You need all the energy you can get."

"Nonsense." Ed tries to shuffle himself towards me. He groans as the ropes cut into his flesh. I gasp as I grab his hand. "You're bleeding!"

"This is nothing," he grunts. "Lean towards me. I will give you all my warmth."

"That sounds really sexy," I say in a half-teasing, half-weary voice.

I place my head on his chest, and immediately feel slightly better. I wonder if Eleanor's going to keep her promise. I wonder if we're going to be alive. I'm worrying about so many things but yet, I want to enjoy this little moment of stolen silence.

"Are you hungry?" Ed asks. "We haven't had anything since morning."

"Can't expect Hannah to serve us any gourmet food," I add.

"Jack," Ed calls loudly.

Jack stirs. He pops open one eyes and groan. "What do you want?" he asks irritably.

"We need some food. You're not going to starve us to death, I'm assuming?" Ed stares at his brother with a serious look.

Jack sniffs. "I can't believe I have to do all these. I could have just stuck to doing plastic surgery, earn shitloads of money and have as many pretty babes as I want."

"Too bad you loved Hannah."

"Shut up."

Jack shuffles towards the door, thrusts it open and calls, "Hannah! Do you have any food? The two refugees are starving."

Hannah stomps into the room. She gives us an irritated glance. "What the shit do you guys want?"

"We need food," Ed repeats.

"And why should I do what you want?"

"Because if we starve to death, it's all your fucking fault," Ed retorts.

Hannah crosses to a corner of the room, take out two pieces of bread and thrusts them towards us. Ed frowns. "This is inhumane."

"Take it or leave it."

Ed struggles to take the two pieces of bread with his hands tied. He hands both of them to me.

"Ed!" I say, horrified. "You need to eat too."

"Chloe. You're eating for two, remember?" Ed smiles tiredly. "Just take it."

"No, I won't," I mutter and hands them back. "Don't act all heroic at this timing. You're a guy. You need to eat more."

"Can you guys just shut up?" Hannah snaps. "This is making me sick." She picks up the revolver and swings it towards us. "If any of you dare to say a single word more, I'm going to shoot both of you."

"Hannah," Jack says in a low, warning voice. He placed his hand over her wrist to restrain her. "Don't you think that this scene is indeed touching?" he gives Hannah a wistful glance.

"Yea, right." Hannah rolls her eyes. She stomps out of the room, leaving Jack alone with a sorrowful expression.

"Tough luck man," Ed says. Jack nods and shuffles to a corner.