Friendship Kiss

"Our new client is Sunshine Offices. They're renovating their entire office building and we've managed to win the contract. We'll be the firm in charge of designing both the exterior and interior parts of the building. Does anyone have any questions? " Ed flips through the powerpoint quickly and turns to face us.

It's my 5th day working directly under the boss. After my indifference to his smses, Ed has finally gotten the message and I've received no smses so far to date. A small part of me, the rational part, is happy that Ed has finally thought it true. The problem is, the other much larger irrational part of me is disappointed that he hasn't been contacting. I'm not even sure if that's good for my sanity.

For the past few days, work has been hectic. In the past, I'd just sit at the desk for a few hours and secretly flip through old magazines and drink cups and cups of tea. Now, there isn't even a moment to rest and I can barely keep my eyes open.

I've also finally resorted to drinking coffee. It's the only thing keep me awake right now. I can finally understand why Starbucks earn so much. So many sleep-deprived people need their coffee as a lifesaver.

"Sir, I've personally being to that site and I've some ideas," Derek pipes up enthusiastically. He takes out a blueprint and starts talking animatedly with wild gestures.

I yawn and nudge Marilyn next to me. She looks like she's sleeping.

"Dude, are you sleeping? Your eyes are closed," I whisper. If I'm not mistaken, she seems to be snoring very lightly.

Marilyn twitches and opens one of her eyes. "I'm trying to reach the outer realm of the world. It does not mean I'm sleeping. I'm just deep in thought," she answers.

"Right."

"Any other suggestions by the board members?" Ed asks loudly. Derek has finally stopped talking and he looks all smug and happy. I wonder if it's tiring to keep sucking up to the boss.

While others are typing it on their laptops, I stare at Ed's face. His floppy brown hair is slightly gelled up today and I can't help running my eyes down his body. Gosh...he's muscular. Why didn't I notice it before?

"Chloe? You have something to add?" Ed says, catching my eye.

Shit.

What am I supposed to say? I was just ogling at you, nothing much.... which is completely inappropriate.

"Well?" he asks impatiently. "Were you even paying attention to Derek?"

My eyes swerves to meet Derek's. He gives me a smirk and I glare back. He's always happy to see someone in trouble. That bloody freak.

"I admit I wasn't," I lower my voice. Hopefully, he'll let me off.

"Look at Derek's designs." He pushes the blueprints towards me. "Do you notice anything wrong with it?"

I gaze at the complicated, intricate designs and my eyes literally glaze over. I want to say that I don't know but when I remember Derek's irritating face and Ed's taunts, I know that I've to say something. I can't just let others think that I'm a pushover.

My eyes skim through the details and finally I latch onto something.

"There's no wheel-chair friendly facilities at all," I pipe up. "Approximately 27% of Sunshine Offices are handicapped and everyone applauds them for rendering fair employment for all. It will inconvenience these employees if we proceed with Derek's plan."

Okay, I admit. I made the figures up but who knows?

Derek's eyes narrow into slits. He's caught out by me. Never knew that could ever happen.

Ed's lips widen into a smile. "Miss Mason is correct," he says. "But it's not 27%. It's 25%." He looks at me with a devilish smirk. He knows that I'm lying about the figures. Oh well. How does he know anyway? Does he go around memorizing these figures for fun?

"It's often hard to make the wheel-chair facilities accessible and to incorporate them into the entire building design," he continues. "Therefore, we've to show that we're America's premier designing firm by achieving that."

"Make the adjustments," he commands Derek. "And ask Chloe to assist you. Good job. We'll end today. I expect all reports in by tomorrow." He gives me a rare warm smile and I feel fuzzy inside.

Everyone gathers their things and they file out of the conference room.

"You'd better watch out," Derek hisses under his breath as he passes by me. I'm tempted to step on his foot but I don't want to be hauled to jail just because of him. It's not worth it.

Finally, only Ed, Marilyn and me are left. Marilyn's head's bowed low and she looks as if she's looking at her file which is on her lap/

Ed says in a low, agitated voice, "Why didn't you answer my smses?"

"We've to maintain a professional distance," I mutter and I pointed at Marilyn, hinting that it's best to take this conversation somewhere else. But does he listen? No. Because he has to be the best example of how stubborn men can be.

"Great job back there, you totally slammed that jerk," Ed whispers again.

"Jerk? You mean Derek?" I tilt my chin up to look at his handsome face. "I thought all bosses like suckups."

"Not me." He sounds disgusted. "I worked my way up the rungs of the corporate ladder and I detest people like that. But suckups are useful. They're always the first to complete their work so I guess I can put up with their shit."

I laugh. He's so funny sometimes. "I'm just worried he'll get back at me."

"If he does, tell me. I'll send him packing his bags immediately," Ed says seriously.

Woah. He's intense. Well, too intense. Not my type. I prefer....happy-go-lucky people who like to keep their noses out of other people's business. But what do I know? There must be a reason why I'm still not married.

"If you do change your mind, call me," he says and kisses me lightly on the cheek and walks out of the room before I can even react.

I rub my cheeks in shock. It's still moist at the exact same spot where he kissed me and it feels...really nice. I almost wish he had just kissed me on the lips there and then but that would be indecent.

This is just....a friendship kiss right? I don't know if that exists but I'm going to keep chanting : It's a friendship kiss. It doesn't mean anything. in my head so that I can assure myself nothing indecent is going on.

Suddenly, I remember Marilyn's presence. Shit. Did she hear anything about us? Okay, maybe I should hit her head so that she gets amnesia and forgets everything she had just heard. Maybe not.

"Marilyn," I whisper and tap her on the shoulder. She doesn't reply.

I tilt her head up so that I can get a better look of her face and stifle my laughter.

Her eyes are closed and there's saliva on her face. Marilyn, the perfect heiress, actually drools and snores in her sleep. Funny how you can be awed by strange things you learn everyday.

I'm just stuck with one problem: What am I going to do with Ed?