4- A Concubine?

Various gifts were sent to the empress. Gold rings, exclusive flower tea, paintings, calligraphy, jade ornaments and a bonsai ? It is an one of a kind, but why?

"This jade is from Consort Wei, may your majesty take a look."

"The quality is great." She said.

"This flower tea is fr-"

"Who sent the bonsai ?"

"Nubi, have no idea."

"Hmm. Why would anyone sent a bonsai anonymously.."

____________

"Your majesty, this is the comb." Bai Lu shows a magnificent carved jade.

He hold the treasure with satisfaction.
"It was crafted well." He said still looking at the comb.

"Yes,your majesty." The motive is very detailed. Peonies sitting there beautifully, there even the empress's name on it Lu Qing Yu. The emperor is very happy with it. Not many people know the empress's full name because she always addresses as 'The Empress ' . However, there is no sense of an empress or royalty on the comb*.

But he put the comb back to its box. And put it in a cabinet. He lock it.

"Let's get ready for the gathering."

It was a magnificent dinner yet feels so plain. The emperor sneaks at the empress's face, and she doesn't seem to be pleased. Whatever the case is, shouldn't we suppose to be happy on our birthday ?

"Emperor, are you free tonight?" Consort Hua whispers, but she makes sure it is loud enough for empress to hear.

"Yes, why?"

"The child on my stomach wants the presence of his father." She says clinging to emperor's hand.

It is disgusting to see. The empress suddenly lose her appetite. She knew that the emperor doesn't favour her, but isn't it too much?!

Is he trying to shove her out? She learned how to live without his love, however this kind of stuff just makes her put ice wall between them.

They are currently in a weird relationship. The emperor wants her company , but it is more of a professional relation. And seeing the emperor goes to HuaYang Palace tonight, just explain who is the most favoured woman in the harem.

But the empress does realise how much the emperor treasure her, as the mother of the country.

___
The room is filled with rosy scent, so captivating. A seductive atmosphere that would make any guys go crazy. But the Consort is not a low person. She knows what she's doing.

"Would your majesty prefer black tea or chamomile?"

"Black tea."

The servant pour a cup of tea and left.

"Why don't you have a cup?"

"Black tea is not good for pregnant woman, this bengong doesn't want to harm the dragon child." Consort Hua answers shyly.

"Of course. Is there anything that you need?"

"Your majesty, Wei Clan seems to get a grasp on important state problems."